Speed problems on LAN or not?

Novaz

Hi!

So we have this lan party now and then where some friends plays some games.

Before we used ftp to share files but our problem was that when everyone was downloading from same server at same time the speed was slow.

So I come up with this briliant ide to use torrent insted so we share the speed.

So I setup uTorrent as tracker and started to create some torrents that I added to the tracker.

Alla was working but the speed was not that good that I wanted.

As best I got 15mb/s but that is not fast for 1000gbit lan. All haev the same speed so is not my computer or settings i guess. And that speed was the same if only one downloaded or manny. We had about 10 computer seeding but speed was the same. All settings on all torrent client was on no limit.

I truned off all firewals but stil same. when using FTP i got speed at 80mb/s if noone else was downloading at same time.

I have created the torrents my self and used only the local ip adress to the tracker, ex: 192.168.0.1

Anyone know if there is some limit on torrent not to be abled to download in hi speed over a lan ?

Thanks

Novaz

As best I got 15mb/s but that is not fast for 1000gbit lan.

when using FTP i got speed at 80mb/s if noone else was downloading at same time.

1000 gigabit/second LAN does not exist at this time.

Perhaps you meant 1 gigabit/second LAN?

Presumable your "15mb/s" and "80mb/s" are MegaBYTES/second?

Windows tweaking with TCP Optimizer may help slightly...just be very careful not to allow lots of server connections in it at once!

Your hard drive/s may not be capable of speeds any higher than 80 MegaBYTES/second. Many cannot write faster than 60 MegaBYTES/second. So the only way to get speeds higher than that is from/to ram drives. Hardly any point except for testing purposes.

Not really.

An FTP download is sequential beginning-to-end.

A BitTorrent download is random, often even when downloading from a single peer/seed -- though that only becomes an issue normally when you badly exceed the seek times of a drive.

Were you downloading to a ram drive, you'd probably see much higher speeds given enough peers/seeds uploading to you.

HDD RAID arrays built for speed might also achieve noticeably higher download and upload speeds.

You're using uTorrent v1.8.2?

Archived