torrent files no longer open automatically! WHY? :/

boogert

im having a very strange problem at the moment! everytime i click on a torrent link, it saves the damn torrent to my desktop no matter WHAT!!! i have literally tried eeeeeeeeeeeeeverything now. in the past, of course since i have checked "associate file types" i would click a torrent, and it would automatically open it up in the utorrent client. now it saves the torrent to dektop and i have to double click it from desktop to open. i have right clicked from the desktop icon and checked the box "always use this program to open selected file" and it STILL doesnt open automatically. any help or advice is greatly appreciated. thanks!

• 1 month later...

this just started happening to me too. frustrating.

I too am using latest firefox (3.0.7) on a pc laptop running vista home premium.

nothing notable (crashes/updates/etc) happened between it behaving as normal and the new download thing, just started one day.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Switeck - I solved the problem by blending answers from a couple of different FAQs.

Boogert:

Firefox > tools > options > Applications; scroll down 'til you find "Torrent File" in the 'Content Type' (mine still had the bright green utorrent emblem attached so it was dead easy to see); next to it is an 'Action' dropdown window with the save/open options. Ta-DAA!

Don't ask me why it suddenly changed - ghost in the machine i guess.

d.

Archived