Prefs not saving?

temujin

I'm having a problem where I'm having to set the preferences everytime I start up utorrent (9.0.4), it just doesn't seem to save my settings.

The settings I'm having to re-set each time:

DOWNLOADS

Open torrent files found in: xxxxxxxxxxx

Default download location: xxxxxxxxxxx

BITTORRENT

Enable peer exchange for public torrents

NETWORK

Automatically map port (using NAT-PMP or UPnP)

Although I am getting the best speeds i have had using this client, it is getting tedious to set these every single time I want to use it. Is anybody else having this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Before you speak, NoOneButMe, aka the Moderator, it would behoove you to know about what you are speaking.

It appears that version 0.9.1 was withdrawn from both the uTorrent website and from VersionTracker, and 0.9.1 has been replaced by its previous version, 0.9.0.4.

For you information, I did download 0.9.1 when it was available. When I tried to open that version, I was greeted with the infamous spinning wheel. I had to force quit the application and reinstall 0.9.0.4.

Assuming that you are referring the preference file named com.bittorrent.utorrent.plist, I tried deleting it when I first observed the problem, a week or so ago. Deleting that preference file has no effect on the current problem. If there is any other preference file that effects uTorrent, please advise.

I've encountered a similar problem. (my tale of woe posted in detail here http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=54310)

Deleting the whole app folder did not remove the old settings. Upon reinstall, the old settings were still in preferences, from my forwarded port down to my connections/connections per torrent values, which were changed from the defaults. Curiouser and curiouser.

When I originally installed .9.0.4, there were no problems saving the settings. After removing 9.1 and rolling back, I had to relaunch the app several times before it would keep my settings. As recommended here, I had to forget the port I'd previously mapped and had to stick with the one it picked at random, forwarding to that one so it would keep it. Without doing that, it would randomize the port every time I launched the application.

This behavior has me completely confuzzled. The only thing I can think of to explain it is that 9.1 was not completely uninstalled when I removed the app folder which would explain why an older version is behaving like the newer version. But if all of utorrent is contained within the package and removing the package removes all of utorrent, then I have no idea what's going on. Very interested to hear what the solution will be!

Brucez & JollyReaper thanks for your support on this one guys.

NoOneButMe - I did try 0.9.1 and got the obligatory no connection others on this forum had. As for the deleting prefs, etc. I have completely remastered my Mac (erase & install), all I have is a fresh OS and utorrent installed and guess what..... that's right...... still the same problem!

Are you sure you got the prefs and application files? I did as instructed and reinstalled and my version came through clean, no settings. Got it back to the way I had it before the upgrade mess and I'm getting speeds just about as fast as on my xp box. I am a very happy camper.

My best guess is the new version wrote some changes to the prefs which is why the weirdness persisted after the reinstall. As one example of the weirdness, I was unable to have the torrents moved to the trash after the transfer started. With the total wipe and reinstall, that behavior is restored.

One guess as to why the settings couldn't be changed -- perhaps the new version of utorrent made those files into a new version that the old one did not recognize -- could read some settings but could not overwrite it with changes. Could I be right? Maybe, and then again, maybe not.

Try this folks... Get AppCleaner (http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/) it's a small and free program that helps you delete traces of application installed on your Mac. This is something that you can do fairly easily manually but why go through all the fuss?

Then delete the µtorrent installation, redownload the app from the site and reinstall a fresh copy. This solved my issues as I was using 0.9.1 and now I am back to 0.9.0.4 and it's working fabulously. ;)

bizzyb0t thanks for the suggestion but utorrent has never saved preferences for those of us using a PPC mac. I tried exectly as you suggested, pointed the fresh install of 0.9.0.4 to my external drive where my downloads need to be, exited the app, reopened and it was back to it's default 'download' folder. It won't remember any preference for those of us using a G5.

Archived