uTorrent hog CPU resource problem

toner

I have been using uTorrent for a long time, but for the past year I keep getting this CPU resource hog problem. I run uTorrent in the background while I am working and have no troubles. But then I leave my computer on overnight downloading, when I come back, I find that uTorrent is using between 85-98% CPU power. And it is impossible to do anything, and it bring my Pentium Dual Core 1.8Ghz with 2Gig RAM to a crawl. I can't even play mp3, and my mouse jumps around the screen when I move my mouse. It occurs whenever my computer is idle for more than a few hours and heavy BT traffic. Once I shutdown uTorrent, the CPU resource drops back to <10% from 70-90%, but sometimes uTorrent freezes on exit. I tried different versions of uTorrent (1.6.1, 1.7.7, 1.8.1), but it's all the same (I installed v1.8.1 first).

I formatted my HDD and re-install Vista to see if it helps, but it doesn't. I have Spybot and Zonealarm, but I turn them off everytime I use bittorrent.

I really like uTorrent, but I can't use it if it acts this way. I have no clue what's wrong. Can someone please help? Thanks in advance.

Thanks guys. After I un-installed ZoneAlarm firewall (free version) on my Vista PC, uTorrent works great again without causing any slow down or CPU resource hog.

I still would like to use a firewall on my computer to prevent some programs from unknowningly sent things out. Which firewall works well with uTorrent and Vista? Thanks again.

Archived