uTorrent slows down JUST the browsing with IE / Firefox...

goodiegood

ok.. this've been bothering me for a while now, so i just have to take actions now. despite the fact that this has been asked before, i've not managed to solve this issue yet...

for months, i've been able to leave utorrent running in the background without it slowing down my internet browsing (loading pages etc.).. ALL downloads through ytorrent goes on max download speed and the same with the upload speed as well. no problem there. but, whenever i download something through browsers (tried many different locations/sites), the download speed sucks crap. about ~10kb/s... my line's 6000/600 Kbps. but the main problem is that it loads internet pages just WAAAY too slow, even the local one's! that's really bad.

the slow browsing and downloading from HTTP-sites happens when i've had uTorrent on for a longer or shorter period. the pc itself works like a charm, though. even when i turn off the utorrent, it may go about 15~45mins until the internet starts working properly. sometimes i even have to unplug and plugin the router to get the internet working properly...

so yeah, any ideas how i can fix this issue, perhaps?

here's some relevant information:

- i am running a stationary PC connected to a router

- router i am connected to: Linksys WRT54GL

- i am the only one using my network

- i've runned several scans and clean-ups for malware, spyware, viruses etc, but nothing has been found, yet there's slow browsing speed

- i am using WinXP SP3

- i've tested using all uTorrents (with same settings) over a period, from v1.6 to v1.8.1. currently i am running 1.7.7, since it is accepted amongst most private trackers. the slow browsing occurs in all versions

- i've done ALL these settings and suggestions as well as the basic settings (forwarded port, minimized allowed connections/peers, minimized u/l speed etc.):

Disable in uTorrent:

- (in Connection) UPnP, NAT-PMP

- (in BitTorrent) DHT (both kinds), LPD

- Resolve IPs (right-click in the PEERS window of an active torrent.)

- Ran the Speed Guide (Ctrl+G in µTorrent) properly?

- Disabled IP resolving in the Peers tab?

- Restarted µTorrent after disabling DHT?

- Try disabling UPnP?

- What firewall are you using, and have you tried uninstalling it?

- Tried lowering the global maximum number of connections to 200? 100? 50?

- Lowering net.max_halfopen to 4?

- Patched TCPIP.SYS and restarted the computer after patching (this assumes you run Windows XP w/SP2!)?

- Restarted the router after doing any of the above?

- Connect directly to the modem to make sure it's not your router?

- If turns out that it's not the router, what modem are you using?

- Reduce bt.connect_speed in advanced settings to only 2.

- i've cleaned all the /temp folders etc for useless files

- i do upload sometimes, so i do have like 5~10 active torrents running/uploading for full in my uTorrent whenever i go to sleep, work or something. even if i just have 1 active torrent, it slows down my browsing

- whenever i want to surf/browse with internet, i have to shut down utorrent and wait about 15mins before i can start loading pages like normally

- i've restarted both the linksys router as well as the cable router

- i've even setup the linksys router w/network from scratch, but still slow browsing

- i've even went as far as formating the entire windows partition and re-installed WinXP SP3, but still no good results

- i've tried shutting down all forms of firewalls many times, but there's still slow browsing

- i've runned speed tests BEFORE loading/starting utorrent (after it has been shut down for hours), and the speed goes to max, both download and upload. after utorrent has been on for about 30mins~1hr, and i then try to run the speed test, i cannot even load the speedtest pages/sites........

- SOMETIMES when i start the uTorrent, it works brilliant for a while (sometimes up to 2hrs) before it slows down the entire browsing again...

- i've NOT tried to update the firmware to my WRT54GL router like suggested in the sticky thread, mainly because i've got no clue which of the files suggested in the thread i should use to update firmware

that should cover a lot of parts, i guess.. if i am missing anything, let me know.

so yeah, ANYONE who knows HOW i can fix this issue?? i've been having some serious trouble with this, and despite the fact that i've changed all my network and utorrent settings to the required one's, i am still having trouble with this.

i hope someone is able to give me a solution to this bloody annoying issue...

THANKIES a BUNCH in advance to those who'll take time to help me! :)

I don't think it's down to the router firmware crapping out as I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms as the original poster.

I have a Norwegian ISP called Get if it matters to you and thought they had started doing some funky way of throttling (as in downright blocking the WWW service) when they detect P2P traffic until I read this post.

My setup has been working fine for me for over a year and all the sudden this issue popped up. It might be a bug in µTorrent itself clogging up the TCP/IP stack because I can't believe my ISP is now turning over to the dark side (it's been such a good sport for so long).

Also if you are Norwegian you might want to read this forum post on Diskusjon.no.

Well, goodiegood certainly is behind a Norwegian ISP, so that's definitely a possible correlation. I rarely see cases where ISPs do this, so it ranks as less likely to me than router problems. Oh well :P

As for whether it's µTorrent... it doesn't strongly explain why all versions of µTorrent seem to be causing issues for goodiegood (and only recently), even with ultra minimal settings as suggested in the troubleshooting thread.

it's doing it to me too. It used to work perfectly as I got a router with QoS and I could have utorrent not capped and still browse the internet or play games without any delay. I'm guessing Comcast did something. Now if I have utorrent on the internet slows WAYYY down, almost equivalent to 56k speeds (in delay/speed) not bandwith as I haven't measured it.

alrite. i've now upgraded my router to Tomato instead of the original version. at the moment (6:56pm), i've had uTorrent running with an active torrent for about 30mins (with global u/l speed changed to 80-85% of max). so far it seems to work quite so OK.. i just have to portforward etc.

and yeah, i do use a norwegian ISP, although it's different than saivert's ISP. i haven't heard anyone else with the same ISP (Ventelo) that've experienced the same issues as i have.... yet.

saivert: i read your post and it seems like it was NOD32 that was blocking your browsing, yeah?

anyway... so far, both the torrent and browsing seems to work quite good, although it has only been running for a short period. but yeah, SO FAR it seems like it was the router that was too old for this...

NOTE: I have NOT done this part for WRT54GL yet, but perhaps i should consider doing this if the Tomato-upgrade doesn't seem to work..?

stay tuned for more on this.

ok. will do so then.

the utorrent has been up and running for almost 1hr30mins now and the internet/browsing/network is still working like a charm with the Tomato-setup...

will keep this thread updated to see how it'll work out.

Ultima: i read that you're using WRT54GL as well..? you've upgraded to Tomato, huh?

yeah. must edit a couple of settings, though, but other than that, it seems to work brilliant.

Yep, upgraded to Tomato on the day I received my WRT54GL. Well, I first installed DD-WRT, but it didn't work out well (connection was still dying with BitTorrent), so I switched to Tomato, and haven't since looked back.

By the way, if you were wondering, the ND version of Tomato also works with WRT54GL. It includes newer wireless drivers for the router, which fixes router stability problems with certain Intel wireless adapters. I suppose that doesn't really matter though, since you're the only user on your network, and probably aren't using wireless anyway.

actually... i might install that ND, tbh. the reason for that is that my friend's moving back, so imma go and setup a wireless network with my router so he can use my internet like always. hehe. will that ND-installation work if i already got the other Tomato installed, or are there some things i must do first before ND can be installed? but yeah, i should install that for the wireless network stuff... thankies a bunch for that info, Ultra.

NOTE: it's now been...uh...3hrs with uTorrent running for full and i've been browsing/surfing with NO issues! so yeah, it sure is looking good so far...

i guess that ALL uTorrent users with WRT54GL should first edit the settings to what's mentioned in my first post and then follow the additional setup stuff in your thread(s) and THEN upgrade to Tomato and it should work like charm! :)

i see...

well, there seems to be a problem with the portforwarding for utorrent... i go the router (tomato wrt54gl) settings, click on Port Forwarding, type in the requested ports + IP and save, but nothing happens.. i am obviously missing out on something... how do i forward the port correctly since the setup is different in Tomato?

nah. it didn't work. perhaps there's something from the Tomato menu that i must change? i tried fiddling with the 'Port Forwarding'-section, but that didn't seem to work, so i put it back to the way it was...

i tried setting it to *.50, but no success. it's still giving me port error in uTorrent... i've always had green light until i upgraded to Tomato... what can be wrong, perhaps?

Archived