ISP limiting bittorrent speeds, and encryption isn't working

dandan86

Short version: If I put the Encryption as "Forced", shouldn't it take care of the problem?

Longer detailed version: browsing, chat softwares (MSN, Google talk, Yahoo), almost everything I tried work normally except for P2P programs and bittorents. (I'm sure it's not a firewall on my end or anything, it's the ISP that is blocking the traffic.) From what I understand, the encryption feature can be used in case ISPs are blocking bittorent traffic so it would make it work normally. So i have selected the encryption to be forced, and even unchecked the the "allow legacy connection" but download speed doesn't go higher than 2KB/s. (Should be at around 50KB/s)

So am I missing anything? Or did I understand the encryption function incorrectly?

Short answer: No.

Your ISP can still see the connections, how big the packets are, how often they're sent, what ports they're connecting to/from, and even whether the base protocol is TCP or UDP. Tracker communication is currently done in-the-clear even with protocol encryption enabled/forced (which only applies to communication between peers and seeds).

Lastly, even if everything is perfectly hidden, MANY ISPs are now thorttling/crippling/disrupting ANYTHING they don't recognize/can't read. Encryption only may only make that worse, as they may allow a little bit of known/recognized BitTorrent traffic through.

Archived