Transmission + uTorrent = BSOD

switchseven

First BSOD i've seen in a long time!

Tried finnishing off a torrent, that I'd partially downloaded with Transmission in Ubuntu, with uTorrent in Windows.

This promptly BSOD'd my laptop.

Guess there's some discrepancy in the format of the partial torrents. Fair enough, but where was the error message telling me I'm a pillock?

Anyone else noticed this?

As i regularly use Windows and Linux it would have been great to just start a torrent in one, reboot and keep going in another!

I'm not convinced this is not a uTorrent problem. Since upgrading to 1.8.2 I've had two blue screens, both shortly after starting uTorrent. Since my last reboot I've run for over an hour, multiple applications, but no uTorrent. I can't remember the last time I had a BSOD before I installed the latest version. It may be that some other app is causing the BSOD, but it's hard to believe uTorrent isn't contributing something.

Please see: http://drop.io/bsod_utorrent

File hosting contans:

1. hijackthis.log - for vista installation

2. ubuntu_screen.png - starting torrent in ubuntu transmission

3. vista_screen_1.png - adding torrent to uTorrent

4. vista_screen_2.png - torrent added, force check completed, showing 1.3% Done & 0B downloaded

5. vista_screen_3.jpg - photo of BSOD

I wasn't keen to intentionally bsod my main windows installation. So i tried it first on my old XP machine but failed to reproduce the Bluescreen. Possibly because I only downloaded about 6MB while in ubuntu. The re-check infact failed to find the 6MB already downloaded. and simply started from scratch.

So i tried it again on my Vista machine, just as I'd done before. Downloaded about 21MB of the torrent in Ubuntu. Continued in Vista. After re-check the torrent was on 1.3% and then Bluescreen. Bluescreen reports:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Techincal Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xAA9CB000, 0x00000000, 0x81CC06F0, 0x00000000)

If i'd thought about it I'd have done it with a smaller torrent, and uploaded the partially completed file. But you can try it yourself. All you need is a Windows Machine and a Ubuntu Live CD!

Egh, it's doing a full memory dump. Anyway, that's definitely a driver problem.

Please change it to minidump, then compress it and upload somewhere. Control Panel, System, Settings, Startup and Recovery. Change write debugging into to minidump. It's stored in %Windir%\Minidump

• 1 month later...

Glad to see I'm not alone! Until I realised my computer didn't blue screen as long as I didn't use utorrent I thought it was dying. From a google search of utorrent + blue screen I found out about this problem with Transmission and from a subsequent search found this page.

I recently installed Vista over my Ubuntu install and thus moved from Transmission to uTorrent. A strange thing was that my torrent went from 60% completed to 16% completed, but I didn't think much of it.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=fltmgr.sys

Apparently, fltmgr.sys is a common cause for BSODs, and with the same error as referenced above (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA). The minidump you linked in post #10 seems to point at that driver potentially being a problem. What filesystem is the drive you're downloading to using?

I don't see why it needs to be such a battle for us to get a bit more information from users either, so I guess we're on the same boat.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived