Internet completely slows down when uTorrent is running.

BriGuy92

Starting a few weeks ago, whenever I have uTorrent running (not necessarily uploading or downloading, just connected) for more than about two minutes, my entire internet connection slows down drastically. Web pages take several minutes to load, and HTTP/FTP download speed drops to about 6kb/s. This slowdown also occurs on the other computers on the network and my Xbox and Wii. About ten seconds (literally) after exiting uTorrent, my connection goes back to normal. It's defnintely not a router problem, as I've tried attaching my computer directly to my modem with the same result. My ISP (FairPoint Communications) is not on the list of "bad" ISPs, so I doubt that's the problem. I've also tried lowering the max halfopen connections and patching TCPIP.sys with no luck. I've searched around and haven't been able to find an answer yet, so now I turn to you. Any suggestions?

• 9 months later...

Hi, I just ran across this forum, because I was looking for a solution to my internet going super slow while downloading. Just wanted to share how I fixed it. I originally had used the Speed Guide to set my connection speed to 10Mbit/s, because I have a 5Mbit download rate, and I thought that was the right answer. After reading the setup guide (http://www.utorrent.com/documentation/connection-setup), I realized that my settings were wrong, so I changed them to reflect my upload speed, and now the internet works like a charm! Fixing the slow internet problem has also solved another problem that I was having: slow internal processing - my guess due to fighting the bandwidth issue. Thanks!

I went to the DSL reports site, and it showed upload at 486kbit. Download was faster last night (4000kbit), but right now it tested at 2500kbit. All I know is that a gig and a half used to take forever, and I couldn't look around the internet at all, but last night I got it in 20 minutes while surfing, and that's all anyone could ask for :)

i've never tried to upload that much - i'm sure it would take years. i just keep seeding everything. but my download speed is quick and i can still look around the net. i used to think it was a router problem, but this thread really hooked it up. now everyone on the router can use the internet, but if i was downloading in the past, everyone's internet was pretty much useless....

Archived