DNS? How do u find it?

known

Well I keep getting the "NAT error" thing and so i decied to go to www.portforward.com and read the instructions. Well ive reached the part where they ask you to go into RUN and then type in CMD and a black windom comes out where you type "ipconfig/all" and it shows ur IP address and all your other info. Well I copied it all down and when I entered it into my network settings, it would not allow me to vist any websites.

According to www.portforward.com, this problem is due to because the DNS that i typed it was incorrect. So they ask I should call me ISP and ask them for it. I was wondering, is there a website where you go to find out ur DNS? ALso when they say call your ISP, do I just call SBC (my internet service provider) and ask them for the number? Can the number be found on my bill or email or some other way besides calling them?

Oh and I know my DNS is incorrect because www.portforward.com says you have two different DNS numbers in "ipconfig/all" however the one in my computer only had 1 and the number was exactly the same as my DEFAULT GATEWAY number.

my DNS IP is the same as my gateway IP, but that's because my router uses Dnsmasq. It's great, 'cause I have 3 DNS servers on my router, and I can easily add more without having to do anything on my PC. :D I'm using Level 3's and Verizon NY's DNS servers right now.

Archived