µTorrent kills my browsing, and more

Lurkersupreme

Hi there to all good people!

Sorry to barge in first with a problem, but...

µTorrent (latest version, as well as previous versions) bottlenecks my traffic, as in I'm unable to browse every now and then, read most of the time while utorrent.exe is running.

Yes, I have read all similar threads (including the sticky), and I'm pretty far from being a newbie (toying with various computers since 1985). But the solution to this problem kind of eludes me, and that's why I'm asking for your assistance.

More details (specs will follow):

- When I start µTorrent, it takes quite a while for the yellow icon to turn green (which is rather normal, I presume), but when it does turn green, I'm pretty much unable to browse. Browsing works either randomly, or not at all, and it doesn't matter if I browse "locally".

- Any given browser there is and I tried, while the client is running, acts like there's no Internet connection most of the time, occasionally giving the dreaded message "erection reset by beer" (a joke for the savvy) or simply a blank page.

- Even if I exit from the program normally (File/Exit), the problem still persists (as attested by Task Manager) for about 10 minutes to a half an hour. utorrent.exe is still there, causing exactly the same problems.

- My main PC is hardwired to a wireless router, but everything above applies to any wireless device I try to connect with to the web, while utorrent.exe is still active on the main PC.

Now, for the (meager) specs:

I'm running on WXP SP3, with F-Secure as AV and Firewall (µTorrent already whitelisted). Huge amounts of RAM and disk space, and computing power.

What say you?

Siemens Gigaset SE361

Settings work OK:

Checking port ***** on 79.115.18.165...

OK! Port ***** is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

Upload limit: 1000.0

Upload slots: 1

Connections (per-torrent): 350

Connections (global): 200

Max. active torrents: 100

Max. active downloads: 20

Archived