Verizon DSL help please..

tonyray

ok....

I pay for verizon 3k service....

my normal daily non-torrent file downloads are pretty quick..

on the setting up Utorrent speed test, I am clocked at 2750 D/ 740U..

my 1st torrent download was 4.31 gigabytes and took almost 18hrs...

ok. done laughing?

I seem to to dl around 25kb- 45-kb with occasional bursts to 115kb for a while.

Can someone tell me what upload and download speed I should be setting at?

I have periods where my light is green for a while then turn yellow for longer time.

Also, I have read where you do not have to forward any port when you have a designated dsl line.. is this true?

"2750 D/ 740U"

means 2750 kilobits/second DOWN and 740 kilobits/second UP.

Divide those numbers by 10 to get approximate USABLE down and up speeds in KiloBYTES/second.

In the 2nd link in my signature, you should be able to use the 700 kilobits/second upload settings.

uTorrent's firewalled light may turn yellow either when you're already connected to all the peers/seeds on the torrent and/OR your connection has become too overloaded to receive/respond to any more incoming connections.

Have you tried the 1st link in my signature for troubleshooting?

thank you much,,

so this means I would set my globle D rate at 270[ or 0 for unlimited?] and upload at 70 in the option/preferences/bandwith section and un-check automatic

is this correct?

now if this is correct,

do drop down menu speeds [right click on D or U at bottom of torrent ]screen need to be left alone or do they change the "above personal defaults" if you change them?

DEFINITELY uncheck automatic upload speeds!

You don't have to set global download max, unless you're constantly going over it.

My settings for 700 kilobit/second is a LOT more than just setting the upload speed!

The drop-down speed menus change your current speed permanently...until you change your speed again.

ok......

got it.......

u have been very helpfull..

last 3 questions:

I SWEAR...!!!!

1]so where do you set your actual downloading speed

or is that determined by your upload speed?

my determined dl speeds would be 27-2800 divided by 10= 270

2] Is anywhere from 20hrs [give or take] normal for a 4.30 gig dl even concidering amount of peers/seeds or do I have a problem and should check elsewhere? ISP throttle etc...

3]those right click drop down D and U speed settings...

Is it advised to leave them alone as they change your speed permantly as you said or are they basically for "tweeking"?

thank you again......

1.Yes, your max download speed is probably about 270-280 KiloBYTES/second.

2.However since you're not also uploading that fast, for VERY large torrents it's not uncommon for download to slow to the speed of your upload...because everyone's download+upload must roughly balance.

3.Generally best to leave them alone if you don't remember to change them back. :P

Archived