icon

kryogenix

Alot of you guys seem to like the sharp-edged gothic look, so I made one of my own...decided to stay away from the green this time though.

utorrentlogoblue.jpg

Nice job on this one...definately one to consider.

Maybe after several options - we could vote the best? Of course the devs would have the final say... :D

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if you have the program icon done would u mine posting a link to it so i can see what its like on the desktop, it should go nicely with my royale theme and snazzy blue wallpaper./

I havent made the icon yet, but I will get to that today hopefully. Yeah, should go well with royal XP theme( I use that too). BTW, are you ScubaSteve from Afterdawn?

Ok good I use royal too :).

Actually, its originally a Wiccan symbol that represents the Goddess:

There are several styles of the Lunar Triple Goddess symbol, representing the three aspects of the moon (waxing, waning, and full) and womankind (mother, maiden, crone), as well as the Lady, or Goddess, the feminine polarity of the universe:

http://altreligion.about.com/library/glossary/symbols/bldefswiccasymbols.htm

Your version is just a stylized version of that one...and it's been around forever.

This is the symbol for chaos:

chaos3ey.jpg

The Discordians use it.

*l* I'm somewhat of a religious iconography buff. ;)

i would like to see these icons in 48 32 24 and 16 sizes as making large pictures is alot easier than a detailed smaller icon.

Amen. From my own personal experience, many a great design have been unusable because they fail to resize in a meaningful way. Details and subtleties that are the crux of the design are not maintained when the said details become 2px big. For example: the left-side "thorn" is such a small percentage of the picture and is the main component for "selling" the mu concept, I would shudder to think what it would look like at 16x16. The shading is great looking with it's subtle blending, but that disappears when you have 32 or 16 pixels it which to duplicate it.

My design is one of the only designs that are moving toward a complete harmony of icons. From torrent status, to toolbar, and contining towards the soon-to-be-implemented menu icons, my design is the only one that I've seen that strives to define a whole "style" or capture an actual concept that uTorrent mantains. uTorrent screams minimalism with it's extremely small memory footprint and processor usage, shouldn't the icon capture and symbolize that uTorrent tenet? My "quad mu" design (either version) and my simple submissions express simplicity, minimalism, functionally over flash - all things that defines uTorrent! The "quad mu" design was made the way it was to express the concepts of "many as one" and "the whole comprised of many parts" which are fundamental Bitorrent concepts. These concepts need to be able to be expressed by any final icon submission to properly "brand" uTorrent.

I think BSH's gothic mu is great looking, and it's obvious that he's done logos like this before. If you take my "quad-mu" and his "gothic mu" and evaluate them as purely 256x256 sized images, his is the obvious winner. Yet, I don't know how viable the design is in a complete style type of way. What does it capture about uTorrent in it's design? How does this icon personify the concepts that make uTorrent unique? Can this icon be used as a branding tool? Can this icon style be used toward other icons in the program?

As I said my last submission, I have alot of to learn about 3d-vector images. When I see a design I admire, I begin to analyze it so I can see if I can replicate it - maybe make it better. Maybe my formatting design with his glassly-3dblend would lead us to graphic-art perfection?

When you stretch the image doesnt have all the info to fill out the extra pixels.

This is true if you are using a raster source, since when you stretch it, your editor must make 1 pixel = 4pixels, 1 pixel = 8 pixels etc... It's pretty much not done.

Now, with vector images, it's much easier to both shrink and expand said images since the editor is told how to draw the image (this line this thickness with this grad from these 2 colors) vs. what pixel is what color.

I would be very suprised if BSH used anything other than vector for his gothic mu.

Archived