icon

kryogenix

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya know...Determination...you seem to be really hell bent on making the logo/icon for this fine app. Almost obsessive about it really, judging from your long post. You act as if you feel this is a competition that you are losing.

I do appreciate your criticism on my design, but I dont really understand your argument. Sure, utorrent as an app is very minimal...but MUST it be represented that way? I mean, cmon....why discredit another's design simply b/c you can do no more than a square w/ a few rectangles inside of it? Where's your creativity? Thats what catches my eye when it comes to logos, no matter how minimal the company/software it represents may be. Another thing is variety. I didnt decide on the gothic logo...I went forward with it based on opinions here on the forums. I think that was the 3rd or 4th logo I posted...all different designs by the way. Even though its not the users who have the final say as to what the logo would be, that's the only audience we have right now, without ludde or vurlix saying which direction they'd like to go with it. I sensed a little sarcasm in a post you made a page or two ago, when someone said that they "liked BSH's design more". It's clear that you want to design the logo with no ideas but your own for everyone to rate. So, have at it. All yours buddy.

I suppose the problem with every new feature request is that your adding more and more code to the program. Each new feature means a bigger application. I tend to get annoyed when programs become too feature rich and bloated. I used to use ICQ but then moved to MSN Messenger v1 as it was nothing but a messenger program unlike ICQ. Slowly over time they add more bull shit slowing it down and eventually gaining adverts to it. I ditched MSN on version 4 and now only use mIRC, the one app that never seems to change.

I do however agree this program needs a better icon. It just looks lost next to all other programs. I can't keep it on my desktop because it just looks out of place.

SK: you should try 3rd party Multi-IM apps, then. check out www.miranda-im.org for example, or www.trillian.cc .

I dont think there should be ANY argument over the designs what so ever. Every artist thinks differently and is creative in his own way. Both your designs were liked by different people and thats all there's to it.

I dont think it matters at all unless ludde wants to use some of those designs. Even then, It's a matter of his opinion and his alone, And aruging over who'se design is better is just pointless for those reasons.

Ya know...Determination...you seem to be really hell bent on making the logo/icon for this fine app. Almost obsessive about it really, judging from your long post. You act as if you feel this is a competition that you are losing.

You are right, and my post was mainly defensive. If you read "good effort but..." you tend to get defensive, just as you have responding to my comment. It wasn't an attack on your design: everything I said was style / graphic design philosophy / implemention oriented. If you took it as discounting your creativity, I apologise. I have been stuck the last few days to come up with new ideas (I don't want Simple to be the only notable thing I do here, and I didn't even come up with it!) It is not my intention to make this thread a flame war, or anything like that. Perhaps I was a bit too zealous in my post, maybe a bit too passionate.

Another thing is variety. I didnt decide on the gothic logo...I went forward with it based on opinions here on the forums. I think that was the 3rd or 4th logo I posted...all different designs by the way.

I actually liked your "Mu eats World" design better :D

It was not my intention to discourage you in your submissions, but to motivate you to contemplate the nature of what we are trying to do. Think beyond: have you tried making your design 16x16? How about some matching torrent icons?

It's clear that you want to design the logo with no ideas but your own for everyone to rate

Bah. Fight me! COME ON! LET'S GET IT ON! 8) If you think you have the best design, then prove it! My post was not to discourage, but to motivate you to show me I'm wrong! Prove me wrong. If I didn't think that your designs had merit, would I have said this:

Maybe my formatting design with his glassly-3dblend would lead us to graphic-art perfection?

I'm hours of work from any sort of reproduction of your style, and then I would only be reproduction, not innovation. I think you confused passion with arrogance - I like my design, and I'm willing to fight to defend it :D

man you two really need to stop bickering over who makes the best icon. we all have diff opinons. i personally dont like the simplistic ones as it just doesnt seem to fit on my desktop with all my other beautiful icons.

anyway got bored thought id make another icon for the hell of it

icon.png

Download Here

although BloodStaindHurricane's icons are the best looking at large sizes, 99% of the time we are going to see the icons as 16x16 or 32x32, and what is most important is how good it looks there. the current 1.13 icon looks pretty darn crappy in my system tray, and that's where it sits most of the time. also, it's true what determination says, icons work best when they fit into an entire concept, his icons are however a little bit too spartan for my taste (as of yet), although I like the minimalistic and simple design. perhaps some added 'bling' to spiff'em up!?

Bah. Fight me! COME ON! LET'S GET IT ON! Cool If you think you have the best design, then prove it! My post was not to discourage, but to motivate you to show me I'm wrong! Prove me wrong. If I didn't think that your designs had merit, would I have said this:

Maybe my formatting design with his glassly-3dblend would lead us to graphic-art perfection?

I'm hours of work from any sort of reproduction of your style, and then I would only be reproduction, not innovation. I think you confused passion with arrogance - I like my design, and I'm willing to fight to defend it

God...that's the right attitude. You are both fantastic at what you do.

Determination - I love the simplicity and ease-of-use of your designs (I'm a huge nut for user-interface usability)

BloodStaind - The sheer awesomeness of your designs are overwealming. The design and shadow and - ugh! I can't even describe it. :D However, from a user-interface standpoint, they're too detailed. People would miss out on the coolness of everything. They're fantastic for banners and webpages, however.

I think that pushing each other and contests are great. They give the necessary push to reach greater heights.

But. cooperation is key. So - here's my $0.02.

Instead of PS (since you're a freeware nut, Determination), have you tried GIMPshop. I've been trying it out instead of Photoshop lately. I think its more powerful than PS, but there is some gettting used to. It merges the backend of The GIMP with a frontend that is very, very close to that of Photoshop. And its free.

Check it out and tell me what you think. And I cannot wait to see what comes next from both of you. ;)

But. cooperation is key. So - here's my $0.02.

Instead of PS (since you're a freeware nut, Determination), have you tried GIMPshop. I've been trying it out instead of Photoshop lately. I think its more powerful than PS, but there is some gettting used to. It merges the backend of The GIMP with a frontend that is very, very close to that of Photoshop. And its free.

no doubt its an excellent program, have used it a few times but it doesnt seem to have anywhere near the power of PS and i find its GUI is very poorly designed.

no doubt its an excellent program, have used it a few times but it doesnt seem to have anywhere near the power of PS and i find its GUI is very poorly designed.

*shrugs*

Guess its just my opinion. And I like the whole 'floating windows' dealy. Also, easy access to all tools through the keyboard.

Also, Script-fu blows anything PS puts on the table away.

Think I prefer the first blue one. The grey circle in the middle stopped it looking too blue.

Yea I agree, I like the new colors but there's too much blue, green, etc. The orb needs to stay silver like the first one.

Hopefully ludde/vurlix will eventually say something about a new icon soon....cause the current one looks awful. :?

Archived