Firefox is deathly slow ever since upgrading to 1.8.2

vandan

Hey everyone,

I encountered this problem years ago with firefox and utorrent where I would set my upload limit to half of my max upload speed and webpages would still take minutes to load using firefox. I could have sworn I edited something in firefox or utorrent that fixed this problem. Well ever since upgrading to 1.8.2 the problem has returned. I am currently on a 20mbit/2.5mbit connection and I now only have my upload set to 50KB/s, I tried turning DHT off, port mapping, netmax half open etc etc etc but nothing seems to have worked. My download speeds have also dropped.

Can anyone help me out?

• 2 weeks later...

I am confused, how can you say that my settings are off when this problem only happened after upgrading. I can set the upload limit to 5 kilobit/s and firefox, chrome or IE still do not work. This problem is driving me nuts. Could it be an ISP issue?

Road Runner/Time Warner cable ISP in the USA is not to my knowledge crippling people's lines when they run BitTorrent. They may however be throttling the BitTorrent traffic itself though. This means OTHER internet access that the ISP clearly recognizes (using their deep packet inspection equipment) should not be slowed while running BitTorrent.

I have the same issue. Though when I was running 1.8.2 on XP it was all fine, but after installing Vista I'm having this problem. After I pause all my torrents, it takes about 1-2 minutes before any browser (FF, IE, Chrome) start working and loading up fine again. Other things like MSN, IRC, Skype etc. work just fine, but accessing websites is just impossible.

Edit: Fiddled around abit after checking some more forum posts, seems like Vista changes max half-open connections to 10 for some reason. Dropped it to 3 like some people suggested and it works like a charm now.

Archived