Barak ISP (Israel) seems to start charging user by traffic

Inf

Well, I can't read Hebrew, but are they saying that they'll charge you by the GB or something (eg. pay nothing if you download nothing, pay 20 x GB fee if you download 2GB) or are they just saying that they'll monitor your traffic?

Maybe if you're used to having no data limits then you would be a bit pissed off, but the first idea sounds like a good one especially over here where so many of the broadband users use < 1 GB per month..

Okay then, so from what I understand it's what we've suffered from for quite a while now.

Originally broadband was really expensive (cable) and hard to get, so I don't know much about that. But when I first got ADSL most ISPs were advertising "unlimited" plans which were far from it. To them it basically meant "you have a data limit but when you run over it, we won't charge you extra, we'll just slow you back to dialup speeds", which is definitely not unlimited but they got away with it and still do. (Before then I think there was a similar situation - small data limit and excess charges for running over it).

Also, they still charge you a $100 "setup fee" to get ADSL here. :/ Stupid ISPs.

I know a certain satellite ISP (DirecTv or something) in the US ties you into a 1-year contract. Some ISPs in the UK do the same thing and they're equally as bad.

NTL caught hell for making the 1 GB/day rule...even though they only enforced it weakly and only if you exceed that amount 3 or more days in a row. That's 30 GB/month (for 30-day months)...far more than many other ISPs.

Archived