What do Red Arrows mean?

splatt_

Hello everyone! I've been trying out uTorrent for Mac, and I'm currently using version 0.9.0.4 (13906) and I think it's great.

Just today, I noticed that most if not all of my uploads and downloads turned their indicators red. See Screenshot for details. What does this mean? If I'm not mistaken, red is [culturally] considered a not-so-good thing. Should I worry? How do I correct this?

utorrentmacwd7.th.png

I'm having a similar problem as well. I'm using 0.9.0.4. I read in the utorrent FAQ that red arrows mean that there's a problem with the tracker.

I'm wondering if there's really a problem with the trackers I'm using ? (Mainly from demonoid and piratebay) or is this a utorrent problem ? Since it seems I'm not the only one.

Hmm... The problem seems to have gone away for me now, and most of my torrents now either have a blue or green arrow. I guess there might have been some temporal problems with the trackers.

EDIT: I just took a closer look at my torrents and realized that the ones that still have red arrows are the ones that were from Piratebay. Maybe it has something to do with their ongoing lawsuit.

Mine are still red mostly. There are green ones sometimes, right now there's one. And another problem I noticed since this red arrows problem was that some of the files I was still downloading lost whatever progress they had.Hmmm...

EDIT: Just now I noticed that the red arrows are gone. I'm using torrents from thepiratebay.org, and they seem fine now. But the red ones earlier did look like they were mostly being tracked at thepiratebey. Maybe You're right.

But I made changes to the Queue management (Preferences > BitTorrent tab) and set Active Transfers and Active Downloads both to 3... Heh, this is starting to look like a buglist. But I still love uTorrent. The best I've come across for Mac so far.

My anecdotal two cents -- on the pc version, this sort of warning usually meant that you did not have the complete file available. For example, if you pull up the appropriate tab that displays the availability, instead of seeing shades of blue there will be red in there. Even a sliver of red will mean the torrent is incomplete. On the mac, though, I've seen reds even when the torrent otherwise appears healthy and it completes transfers no problem.

Oh, I think this is probably the same thing as when you find an antique tea kettle for sale on ebay and when you look closely at the shiny metal you see the seller's distorted reflection and then realize "hey, he's not got any pants on!" Now is this someone who accidentally posted a blurry picture of himself in the buff....or was it on purpose? A pervy exhibitionist. Hmmmmmm. Does give one pause to wonder.

Archived