How do you pronounce uTorrent?

Carlos-Curitiba

How do you pronounce uTorrent?

Micro torrent, mu torrent or you torrent?

At Wikipedia I found:

------------

Pronunciation

"You" (u) or "Micro" (μ)

The author of µTorrent wrote in 2005, "I usually say 'you torrent' because it looks like a u", and offered "microtorrent" and "mytorrent" as candidate pronunciations. The symbol μ, which is actually the small Greek letter Mu, stands for the SI prefix "micro" meaning one one-millionth and refers to the program's small footprint.

------------

In many languages the symbol μ, is also said as "me".

So "me torrent" is also a short and esay word to say.

• 9 months later...

"you torrent" makes no sense because that is not a U it is a µ (pronounced mew in English). It is a completely different letter than a u.

Calling it "you torrent" is like calling it "en torrent" or "H torrent" just because the µ looks sort of like an h or an n.

I resisted for a long time downloading µTorrent because of the mispronunciation.

It should be pronounced Micro Torrent or Mu Torrent.

Sam

I resisted for a long time downloading µTorrent because of the mispronunciation.

There is no 'correct' or 'official' pronunciation. As the wikipedia article (and Ludde) states "you", "micro", "my" and "mu" are all fine. And if the Greek letter Mu is pronounced differently in your language then that pronunciation would be fine too.

Ofc you should feel free to call it micro torrent (and convince your friends to do the same).

If you don't use this application just because you don't like how other people pronounce it then it is your loss really :P imho you shouldn't let what others do stop you :P

I and all the people I actually talk with call it "you torrent", I think it sounds fine and don't really care whether it's semantically/linguistically/mathematically/morally correct or not :P

Archived