Seeding hundreds of torrents

telix

I am seeding about 300 torrents right now, and eventually will be seeding in the 600 torrent range. However, I will need to be able to tell the torrent site that the torrent is being seeded so it is not deactivated for inactivity (if I am the only seed, that is). Thus, do I have to Force Seed all my torrents to ensure they do not become queued? If all my torrents are actively seeding, even if they are not transferring data, is this creating a huge amount of overhead that will slow my overall speed? What is the best way to long-term seed a huge number of torrents on a 3mbit or so line?

Thanks in advance.

At 3 KB/sec per active upload slot, you can have about 115 total upload slots before you're giving out crap speeds per person. So probably limit each torrent to 1 upload slot each but keep allow additional upload slots checked.

Started but idle torrents don't typically use a lot of bandwidth...but when you have 100's it can probably add up to 10+ KB/sec down and up for every 100 if each one has seeds that retry your ip.

You do have to set active torrents in queueing higher than you typically expect to have active at once for uTorrent to slowly start more torrents and leave them idle.

Archived