Version Numbering

c4rypt0

Appolgies if this is listed somewhere already.

It seems the uTorrent version numbering format has changed for BETA since the release of 1.4 .

It used to be in the form:

131A, 131B

Now all builds are shown as

I am certain when i say that tracker operators would like it so that each build is identifyable uniquely.

Is there any possibilty this could be done?

Thanks

lol you seen through my cunning master plan ... i am foiled. j/k

Essentially what we want to do is keep people who are using the beta up to date.

As it stands since we cant identify different builds we either have to allow all 1.4 betas or none.

Really want to allow people to keep beta for the benefit of uTorrent as a whole but theres no point people users claiming to be beta testing if they cant even keep up to date on the latest beta release/benefiting from the newer releases.

yeah i appreciate that. :(

Even if you managed to do every one every other build aka 141A, 141B... or one when theres a serious bug fix.... just something better than 1410=every beta version between 1310 and 1420

To many of our users update to beta with zero intention of beta testing, only wanting a shiny new feature. That is fine in itself but these same users tend to go though fads and never update again meaning they use an old beta until we force them not to (which no one likes doing).

How about making agent string pull the build number from wherever its stored for the Help/About dialog (since this is always correct and up to date?)

Kudos

perhaps if betas check only for new betas ... and keep the existing stable only checking for new stables.

This way beta testers can keep up to date and stable users can stay completely out of the way of betas.

I have to agree though it would be better if beta users were actually beta testers... im prepared to bet a very hight pecentage of beta users are in fact "feature junkies" and havent done any beta testing other than "oh it seems to work then it must be ok" ;)

perhaps if betas check only for new betas ... and keep the existing stable only checking for new stables.

I was going to suggest this. :)

I'm not sure if beta auto-updates can/will happen, 'cause we'd rather have people come here for their updates. :P

Most people who check regularly for new betas just go directly to the beta download directory, though.. :P

Archived