What's the best router to use with uTorrents/in general

SpiderSpartan

I currently have a D-Link DI 524. It does ok, but it does seam to lock up every once in a while. It's becoming a real pain, because when it does I can't access my home network from work. So I'm thinking about maybe getting a new router and I'm looking for suggestions. I want something nice, but not crazy expensive. Maybe something in the $75 or less range. Any suggestions? Thanks.

WRT54GL v1.1 then, I suppose. WRT54G is definitely not the same. The WRT54GL is Linux-based, and can use firmwares other than the official Linksys firmware, like Tomato (which is far better than Linksys' firmware).

Besides which, WRT54G has less memory than WRT54GL.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190

Unfortunately, it's a tad bit higher than your budget range, but only by $5, and it's definitely worth every penny. Oddly enough, it's much more expensive now than it was when I bought mine -- I got mine at something like $60 probably a year ago.

I didn't have a good experience running DD-WRT on my router before, and haven't used it since I first got the router. Where DD-WRT let the router die while torrenting, Tomato has been completely stable -- that was my experience, and that's why I simply stick to Tomato.

WRT54G v5.0 and above are crippled versions of WRT54GL, and they require specific hacks to rid them of the VxWorks-based firmware to replace it with DD-WRT Micro. The exact procedure I'm not really certain of, though I suppose DD-WRT's documentation might be able to tell you.

Archived