Tried everything - SLOW! DL speeds

heeddaebaw

Hi guys, i recently got a new computer with windows vista home premium 64 bit installed. Everytime i go to download a torrent i get such slowwww download speeds like 3kb/s, i have tried all of that tutorial thing and i know its not my internet as i could boot my old pc up right now and reach sky high speeds, im not sure what information you need but ill be happy to provide you with what ever you want,

PS i tried one of them open office download things and i got 2kb/s for about 10 mins then 0 after that

Thanks hope you can help

Update just read what information you need

# EVERYTHING you've tried so far, including ANYTHING listed above (please be as explicit and specific as you can). Tell us what your changed settings are.

I've tried everything in the speed guide.

# Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar (at the bottom of the µTorrent main window)

Green, and ports are forwarded.

# What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 47557 on

OK! Port 47557 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

# What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be (press Ctrl+G in µTorrent)

Connect type xx/2mbit

# What you have net.max_halfopen set to (Preferences > Advanced in µTorrent)

# Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?)

Vista home prmeium 64bit

# Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware)

norton internet security 2009

# Exact router model(s), and exact modem model

bt voyager 2100

# ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used

Talk Talk

# Connection type (DSL, cable, dial-up), and the results obtained from the speed test (when running the Speed Guide), for both download AND upload. Be sure that you aren't using your connection for any other reason besides testing, while testing. That means no downloading, no IMing, no µTorrent running, no browser activity (other than the testing), etc. Additionally, no other computer on your network (if any) should be using the connection. When you select a testing mirror, use the ones that are geographically closest to you.

Speed Down 4788.73 Kbps ( 4.7 Mbps )

Speed Up 663.93 Kbps ( 0.6 Mbps )

Thanks for the reply but i did follow your instructions and it cant be talk talk cause i can go on my other pc and download at like 300kb/s where as i get 3kb/s on this computer.... something weird happend today anyway, my downloads just went up to like 300kb/s which i use to get on my old computer and now for no reason its just gone down to like 3kb/s again, any ideas what could be causing it ?

Bad networking hardware and software can be the cause.

Many if not MOST software firewalls are totally unable to handle uTorrent's packet traffic even for mid-range broadband connections.

Viruses, trojans, and many poorly-written networking drivers also contribute to bad results...

ISPs have criteria for when they throttle...and much of that process is invisible to end-users.

So 1 minute downloads can be humming along at 300 KiloBYTES/second...then the next (when throttling starts) download speeds fall below 40 KiloBYTES/second.

Archived