The highlighting of selected torrents

kleptosidewinder

*Per the request in the other thread (in User Interface) I'm cross posting this. Mods feel free to delete or remove whichever one is redundant if you wish*

This may sound like a really pedantic complaint but seeing how well µTorrent is designed otherwise, I'd hate to see something so basic go unnoticed.

For some reason, it's possible to de-select all the torrents, so that none are highlighted. This seems unnecessary. Flame me for sure (I deserve it) but I spent half an hour trying to figure out why none of the tabs (except the speed tab) were showing any data. I finally figured out that my only torrent wasn't highlighted. This 'might' make sense if you had multiple torrents going but especially with only one torrent it doesn't make sense that µTorrent wouldn't just highlight the only torrent automatically. I restarted the program a number of times and even on restart no torrent was highlighted.

It seems counterintuitive and really only midly annoying but it also seems easily remedied. Then again, I'm not doing the coding so...

Thanks.

i'd agree with this, and put in a 0.02 of my own: when multiple torrents are highlighted then as reasonably as possible, fields should be added together so that i can see cumulatively how much of the selected 5 torrents have been downloaded, how much left to go etc

naturally, some fields cant be sumemd or averaged, like the tracker address.. i'd just set these blank

its a bit like when designing forms in visual studio, and you select 10 text boxes, 2 combos and a listbox.. the properties window lets you edit all properties that are still common to all these components, like the Top, Left, Width, Height, Tag, Text, BackColour etc etc

I'd disagree with kleptosidewinder. The problem is, because uTorrent is so economical, under certain conditions, performance might be crimped with too much updating. Obviously, the option to open the Window but not select anything will give uTorrent both the higher priority associated to being an active program while minimizing its consumption, which is nice.

Pal, if you play with BT at all, you should know that when things are selected in Windows, they go blue. If nothing except your title bar is blue, you probably hadn't selected anything.

I agree with Cjard's addition, as long as only a marginal increase in code is necessary. My natural anti-bloat theology makes me agree only on the condition this will take no more than say 2KB.

Archived