UTF-8 Encoded torrents crash 1.8.2 [14458] running in WINE

Donuts

Hi all,

Have just started using uTorrent via WINE (on Debian Etch 4), and started having some issues the other night... Couldn't get uTorrent to start, simply gave a WINE error in my console...

Anyway, after a lot of trial and error with which torrents were causing the lockup (and subsequent failure to come back up), ALL of them were UTF-8 encoded (as evidenced by opening them with bencode editor).

Now... obviously this might be an impossible problem to fix, as the problem is more to do with how WINE handles UTF-8, however that's not likely to be fixed anytime soon (I'd imagine), so I propose a simple workaround... I don't care if I can't download UTF-8 encoded torrents... I just don't want my uTorrent session to crash and not be startable when I add one... so, perhaps just an entry in the Advanced section that gives the option to disregard UTF-8 encoded torrents... or a check for whether uTorrent is running under WINE, if possible.

wine is latest version in Debian repos - 1.0.

Cheers

Donuts

All .torrent files are supposed to be UTF-8 encoded (see here for specs). Something else is at work. Ignoring the error places less incentive for Wine developers to fix the issue, and such a hack causes too much of a disruption in behavior to be considered anyway (optional or otherwise). Got an example .torrent file?

Too, I've never heard of this problem occurring, so I tend to doubt it's a current Wine problem. Try the newer versions of Wine, and if they still cause problems, report it on the Wine bugtracker.

Thanks for the quick response Ultima - perhaps you are right. I will do some more testing and see if I can find anything more conclusive - also I will setup a fresh install of uTorrent and load JUST the dodgy torrent file and see if I can get it to crash (if so, I will post the torrent up on here).

Thanks for the links - I'll see what I can do, I'm on AMD64 and a bit of a noob so mucking around upgrading wine to a version higher than what apt-get wants to use is a little beyond me... First time I tried I thoroughly broke many things :P

I just tried the same torrent in a fresh install of uTorrent (same wine version)... and it worked fine.

So, now I'm baffled. Sorry Ultima, I didn't copy it down - I did try Google but didn't find anything useful. I'll update this thread if it occurs again.

Fair enough :) Just as another note, if you ever decide to clear your *.dat files in the future to troubleshoot, make sure you back the files up. That way, if a cleared set of *.dat files does help, at least we'll still have the corrupt files to look at.

• 2 weeks later...

Running wine 1.1.5 now and uTorrent runs fine!

The best news is that I was on 1.0.0 and my uTorrent wouldn't start... upgraded to 1.1.5 and it started straight away!

Thanks Ultima and Firon.

Also, Ultima massive thank you for your WebUI API thread - you are a lifesaver!

Archived