µTorrent 1.8.3 beta 15619

Firon

The installer seems not to work correctly with Ubuntu 8.04 and wine 1.1.22. The executable in ~/.wine/drive_c/Programme/uTorrent is the old one, it did not write build 15520 to disk. The tasks wineserver and uTorrent.exe are not terminated.

With 15380 and 15358 installing is ok.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for having fixed the firewall issue in Vista.

Something has gone wrong with the scheduler function, though.

I am only able to select "full speed" and "Turn off" at least from at visual point of view.(not "Limited" or "Seeding only"). As far as I can see, the 2 other options work in an exiting setup but I am not able to make/change the settings in the graphics.

Regards

A few hours ago I was running 1.8.3 beta 15358 when the program started an automatic update. Immediately Prevx 3.0 identified it as infected. It was classed as a medium malware threat. I stopped the update and checked 15358 and it came up clean. I went ahead and restarted the update by telling Prevx to ignore the \Program Files\uTorrent directory.

A few hours later I removed the ignore restriction and did another scan and the result was 18 infections, mostly in the system restore files, but many were *.lnk files with numeric names starting with A.

I attempted to reinstall 15358 from the file I had here and it came up infected.

I downloaded a fresh copy of 1.8.2 from uTorrent.com and installed it. I did another scan and everything was reported as clean. I then downloaded a fresh copy of 15520 and after installation it came up infected.

Anybody have any idea what's going on? I thought you should know about this anomaly.

I just downloaded a fresh copy and sent it to VirusTotal:

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/0c957420c7f246e4c9a5ccaa544a2ed451b899bd890d4becc69258c337d83ebf-1243133423

It seems that only Prevx and eSafe have a problem with it. Probably a false positive because of the UPX. Happens every now and then.

The Prevx site doesn't seem to have anything abnormal either.

In regards to the scheduler function (and selecting).

I just got the new version and I have a similar problem. I haven't defined it 100%, but the "2" options I can toggle between depend on the square I start on...

Something like... if I start on "pink" (seed only), I can switch between "dark green" (full speed) and "seed" only. If I start on "dark green", I can switch between that and "white" (off).

One other thing I noticed (don't know if it's a setting that has changed)...

When I start a new torrent over an existing one (say I've gone from revision 1 to revision 2 of a torrent), in the past it always forced a "re-check" then start (so I start the torrent seeding, like at 90% done or whatever)... but now I start at 0%. If I stop the torrent, select "force re-check" it figures out that I have 90% of the data and then I can click start.

I looked in the options and didn't notice any setting that would do that...

Thanks

Chris

Well i'm new to this so if you want more info ask. Well I started a download it finished and after a second of finshing i let was letting it seed and it crashed. After this i let it submit a crash report and that also failed. Ive uploaded my 30 crash dumps onto mediafire. Well im probably going to get banned for sending the whole list on one post so im just going to give my mediafire folder URL.

I'm on Vista Ultimate x32. And ive also tried going back to the stable build that also gave me a loop of errors and also with the 1.9 Alpha. Personally i think its a conflict with Peerguardian 2 because that usually crashes as well with Utorrent on but even when Peerguardian off i still got the errors. Code away!

P.S: Am i allowed to post a mediafire folder URL up here? Don't want to get banned on the day i registered.

I also experienced the crash reported by @AGE after updating from 1.8.3 beta 15358 to 15520 under Vista Ultimate x64 SP1:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: utorrent-1.8.3-beta-15520.upx.exe

Application Version: 1.8.3.15520

Application Timestamp: 4a175313

Fault Module Name: msvcrt.dll

Fault Module Version: 7.0.6001.18000

Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a727

Exception Code: 80000001

Exception Offset: 00009a32

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: fd00

Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Additional Information 3: fd00

Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

I tried deleting my settings directory and reinstalling without success. Then I tried deleting all references to utorrent in the registry. After doing that 15520 installed successfully and is now running well for me.

The last 183beta build 15520 wont auto check files on adding torrent to job list.

I know it's beta but it's quite interesting how this repeats from build to build somwhere 1.7.3 or so i had same issue

And btw. there's some freaking mem leakage in that build. It eats at least 2,5x more memory than previous build 15358.

And it's poor from official utorrent site that itself doesnt provide older releases for download but we had to look around for it

Well old one uses for me understandingly 66MB while the other leap out at 130M and counting when i close it.

Anyway seems nobody report b15358 ALWAYS preallocate files for download sucks. didnt and wont try if that's fixed on 15520 probably not cause it's not in fix list. Placebo fix of tick (my defaultly unticked) pre-allocate fles and than un-tick didnt help :/ well i tried.

--EDIT__

after fussing with 183beta-15289 and 182-15285 seems like that great low memory usage is gone forever so it looks like all builds are good cause there i cant reproduce it no more even with 15358. anyway this "always pre-allocate" seems to be here since 15285. and with all frustrations i'm back to good old ut180-11813 but little connection troubled like 15289. Is this pre-allocation going to be a permanent issue for recent releases?

Now, even oldie cruches that bigger memory chunk. Where does all that memory goes in utorrent?

@ lostinspace

The RAM usage must be caused by a setting on your side or a 3rd party program. RAM usage is usually between 6MB and roughly 25MB under load (for me; no manual cache size set), regardless of program build.

Lowest common denominator. Just because Windows 7 might have a fix doesn't mean it's necessarily fixed in Vista. Breaking Vista support by default would be a bad idea.

@lostinspace: Disk cache? I've never seen µTorrent use more than 20MB here (right now, it's using only 9MB for me). Preallocation of files have nothing to do with memory usage.

Archived