µTorrent 1.8.3 beta 15619

Firon

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Switeck: "uTP connections disconnect easily and often", I have not experienced this, and I think you're the first person pointing this out. The main purpose of the uTP support in 1.8.3 is to make it easier to test the next release where we will put a lot more effort into uTP. One problem now is that the majority of uTorrent clients out there have a very old uTP implementation, which makes it hard to run tests, since they have so many issues. With 1.8.3 having the uTP support it has, it will give us a better position to test our improvements to uTP, without affecting 1.8.3 significantly (at least that's the idea). Much like the current 1.8.2 supports uTP, but doesn't use attempt to make uTP connections. We have some pretty significant improvements to the uTP performance scheduled for the release after 1.8.3, but we don't want to delay 1.8.3 much further at this point.

@drizzle: When both TCP and uTP is enabled, uTP is always attempted first, since windows throttles TCP connections attempts, but not UDP packets. This means that it will typically be a lot faster to connect to uTP peers. As for the prioritization, if you have a TCP connection and succeeds in making a uTP connection (or receive a uTP connection from the same peer), the TPC connection is closed.

While uTP disconnecting "easily and often" may be my personal problem only, uTorrent v1.8.3's behavior when that happens is bad...all TCP connections drop to 0 upload speed, as my picture showed.

I doubt people are aware of just how OFTEN peer/seed connections disconnect and reconnect, so hearing this first from me I give little value. :P

Just my 2 cents... I find it extremely annoying that whenever I update to a new beta build, I need to recheck the "Start utorrent on system startup". I assume this is an easy bug to fix since all the rest of my settings stay the same.

improper handling of servers' cluster: uT get"s "stuck" on the errored tracker (stops recycling) when a tracker returns an error (like cannot download from reason...). It should cycle to the next one ASAP, and only stop if it got no valid scrape from all the servers on the cluster list.

This happened for example with this openoffice torrent: http://www.mediafire.com/?t2xdlotxmjq that now seems to be fixed.

(if this is not 1.8.3 related - please move to the bugs section)

Pretty sure it's not relative to this build.

Did you try to save the torrent file on your HD then open it with uTorrent?

Sometimes this issue is relative to corruption of .torrent during the download with your internet browser.

I also experienced uTP connections disconnecting a lot, but its not such a big problem when there are plenty of seeders coz they reconnect/connect to other peer quickly. Wierd tho, i like to check how stable my download speed is, by that i mean if theres one fast seeder or my per torrent connections are maxed out. When there's only 1 or 2 fast seeders I cant really get a stable high speed.

Other than that I came to the forums just to say how great uTP is, and that my speedlimit issues were fixed a few builds ago.

Great job, thanks!

Archived