µTorrent 1.8.3 beta 15619

Firon

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm.. still... no crashes on XP ... nice ... :P

btw, I'm confused - how come I see in uT higher DL speed with calc_overhead ON then when I set it to OFF (actual ext. measured speed is the same) ? shouldn't it be the opposite ?

Just updated to 1.8.3 beta 15589. the percentage is still gone! :(

---------

ok, I just now tried something: fooled with the gui.graphic_progress setting. setting it to False changes the plain clear/blue graphic bar to a percentage number. Changing it back to True brings back just a plain graphic bar.

Why can't it be both like in version 1.8.2 ?

Don't mess with gui.piecebar_progress? Nothing has been changed with respect to the progress bar, and no one else is seeing the same bug as you (my screenshot above should be proof enough). Chances are, this is just another case of PEBKAC.

after installing 15589, all gui customizations in webui are reset (menu columns order, categories etc)...ive sorted the menu three times now, it just resets itself randomly on logins...never had this problem before.

happens with both webui 3.61 and 3.62 (2009-05-31).

Using Firefox

Pr1XseL:

Why is bt.transp_disposition set tPr1XseL o 13 not 15 by default

An interesting issue! Can 1.8.3 serve as a kind of 1.9 "replacement" as far as uTP is concerned ? hmmm... this can be an interesting experiment :) I say - yes, try this on this beta and make it so that ~5%-10% of the upgrades will set 15 as the default.Then issue another release that either cancel it or goes to 100% if successful

Pr1XseL:

Why is bt.transp_disposition set tPr1XseL o 13 not 15 by default

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=49813&p=1

1.8.3 has updated uTP handling code, so it can handle incoming uTP mixed with TCP much better. It is possible to enable outgoing uTP, but it is still not recommended, as the speeds will not be as good as 1.9 will have as we get closer to final.

two issues:

1. updating with tracker scrape

I open a torrent, and then start to download it (manually). It looks like at this point - the seeds/peers list is NOT being updated at all by the active tracker(s). ONLY after the first update of the tracker (like 30-60 seconds later) the "scrape OK" message appears and seeds/peers lists are being updated and seen in the main view.

I'm not sure exactly under what conditions this happen but it seems that this happens mostly when another download and seeding tasks are active or also when you start uT program and DLs are starting then.

A tracker problem ? a uT issue ? Just messages getting lost in the Internet ? ...

2. keeping to the download limit when in uTP mode only

It looks like uT is still setting the DL speed to 15-20% below the set limit (uTP only mode)

edit: and bug reported on IRC:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=413323#p413323

edit(2): ... and a dump from a crash that just occured ... :)

XP/SP2 ; operation: selected two seeding torrent -> stop -> & immediatly - delete+delete data on both ...

http://www.mediafire.com/?zxz12yxoux5

@rafi:

We have not done anything about the uTP issue yet. We have a bunch of other uTP improvements for 1.9, but we feel that uTP is good enough for 1.8.3 as it is, given that outgoing uTP connections are not enabled by default.

"we feel that uTP is good enough for 1.8.3 as it is"

Sadly, I don't think so. uTP connections disconnect easily and often. I seldom have many at once even trying to make them using v1.8.3 (or v1.9 for what it's worth). Sometimes, I have just one...and when that happens, it's yucky if it's a slow one!

Worse if that single uTP connection goes dead, whatever feedback mechanism uTorrent is using to throttle TCP connections based on how uTP connections are doing...seems to be telling uTorrent to do this:

utorrentutpstillnotwork.th.png

Upload speed flatlines roughly until the dead uTP connection times out.

(The HTTP errors are my doing, as I haven't bothered removing bad URLs in their tracker lists.)

Archived