Phantom activity being reported by 1.8.2

JHWatson

I've searched for previous posts on this subject but haven't turned anything up. My apologies if there's an existing thread.

Has anyone else found that 1.8.2 shows phantom activity?

This morning, for example, I'm downloading nothing at all, but when I hovered the mouse cursor over the uTorrent icon in the taskbar just now I got this:

0(0) dowloading, 44(4) seeding

12.0 kB/s down, 13.7 kB/s up

When I looked at the program itself, the upload/dowload graph agreed with those figures, even though every torrent is listed as 100% downloaded.

I do see - as expected - isolated entries flashing on and off in the down speed column, though these are always very small, usually 0.1 kB/s. So where is that "12.0 kB/s down" figure coming from?

There's more: I just tried Pausing every torrent in the list. The program (icon and graph) is still showing me this:

0(0) dowloading, 44(4) seeding

7.8 kB/s down, 7.9 kB/s up

Is this real activity? If so, what is it?

Many thanks.

JHW

Thanks for the link, but it hardly answers my question. As I said, I know perfectly well that a small amount of download activity is reported on torrents which are actually complete; but what have one or two instances of extremely small figures to do with an overall reported download rate of more than ten times their total?

JHW

Thanks for the further reply.

"Have you factored in DHT traffic?"

No, because I don't know how to measure or estimate it. Would it account for the download figure I'm seeing? If so, why didn't it do so in any previous version of uTorrent?

net.calc_overhead is reported as false.

JHW

"Set net.calc_overhead to true."

OK, done that.

"DHT traffic can account for quite a bit, depending on how stable your system is."

Stability and my system go together like peaches and concrete. That might be the answer then, though I still wonder why I didn't see the same effect in any of the previous versions of uTorrent I used.

The program is currently reporting:

0(0) downloading, 44(44) seeding (that latter a big change from the previous "44(4)")

11.8 kB/s down, 34.5 kB/s up

EDITED TO ADD:

I've just discovered that I'm still getting both an up- and a download figure (and graphical representation thereof) even though my scheduler has turned everything off until midnight.

Thanks,

JHW

Ultima, thanks for the reply.

No, I don't use RSS feeds at all.

I have forty-four torrents currently listed, though only a very few of them (three or four at the latest count) actually were seeding.

I haven't tried stopping the torrents completely: I'll do it now and see what happens...

OK, with everything stopped, I'm getting this report:

0(0) downloading, 0(0) seeding

3.8 kB/s down, 1.4 kB/s up

Much lower figures than before.

Ah - I just checked again, and the figures have dropped to zero in both directions.

JHW

Archived