How exactly do I initial seed?

crazlunatic

Hi. So I just uploaded a torrent to piratebay and within seconds there are already 29 leechers. Anyway to do initial seeding, all I do is right click the torrent and check the box right?

By the way, all the other boxes are checked: Enable DHT, peer sharing, local peer discovery.

But when I have initial seeding on, I keep on connecting to a random peer and disconnecting within a matter of seconds. The upload speed only goes up to 10kb rather than my maximum set 72kb.

Why is this? Isn't initial seeding supposed to make seeding more efficient?

Yes, it makes seeding more efficient. But the meaning behind "efficient" doesn't mean "faster." It means it's more conservative with bandwidth usage, so that instead of needing to upload 150+% of the total size to get a full copy out, you might be able to get a full copy out at maybe 115% of the total size. Initial seeding will, in most cases, cause lower throughputs unless the entire swarm is moving quickly. And yes, frequent disconnects are common occurrences with initial seeding.

Oh, er, two mistakes on my part: I misinterpreted his "disconnect" as "stop uploading," and then I used that same word (incorrectly) in my post. I'm not completely certain why it would disconnect, though I suppose the fact that he's behind Rogers might make it not so surprising either.

Archived