need suggestion on firewall

bosvru6469

I don't know if this where this should be posted but looking for suggestions for a new firewall. I am using µTorrent for my client and have Norton IS for my firewall. I am removing Norton because of the resources it sucks up. I am looking for recommendations for new AntiVirus and firewall. I was going to use Zone Alarm but read there are problems using it with µTorrent. My other PC has McAfee which I will probably replace also. Thanks in advance.

McAfee is the best commercial Anti-virus I've ever seen/used. The only one I know of that's better is Panda but's it's very $$$. Anyway Norton Personal Firewall 2007 or 2008 will be really good almsot worth paying for, only because that's when they're going to switch over to the Sygate engine. Sygate was great! Low resourse use, top quality protection on many layers. My cousin's team speak server ran perfectly with only Sygate protecting it. Anyway here are some freebees:

Good Firewall, though sometimes annoying: www.zonelabs.com Zone Alarm

Very good free Anti-virus with regulair updates: free.grisoft.com AVG Free edition

Yeah, I was using 5.5 as a second firewall for awhile. I noticed a big drop in my p2p speeds because of it, the logs showed quite the denied connection list. I went back to only using McAfee and my speeds came back. The only part that annoyed me more than the program blocking people (some of whome I knew were good people) just because they were using a p2p app was being flammed by both trolls and mods who were no better than trolls on p2p sites for even mentioning that their devine Zone Alarm might be doing something bad. So I let them suffer from their low speeds while getting a nice 300kb dl for myself. :)

Has anyone heard of any pros or cons on ETrust Internet Security Suite. I can get it free when I buy my tax software but if it not good I won't bother with it. It has a firewall and A/V in it.

Excellent software for the money (or in this case, lack thereof :P). It uses ZoneAlarm as its firewall base and the Anti-Virus has 2 different scanning engines, IIRC. Overall a great package that's also light on resources...and since you can get it for free, more power to you. :)

Archived