Still unable to forward a port after a long thread at portforward.com

catzero

The people at portforward tried to help me but eventually gave up. I think I'm very good at following instructions and I documented almost every action I took with screenshots. You can see the portforward thread here: http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?num=1234022825

Belkin Pre N router #F5D8230-4 version 2001

Windstream ADSL

Siemens SpeedStream 4200 (bridged) Firmware part #004-D241-A83

AVG 8.0 internet security suite

uTorrent 1.8.2 - status is usually yellow but turns green for short periods

If I could solve this just by getting a new router I would do that, but I don't see what difference that would make. I spoke with Belkin support about the need to bridge the modem and they said it's required in this case because I have a DSL connection.

Any help is appreciated.

As long as the network status light doesn't go red, it should be a good sign indicating that your port is forwarded properly. Just to be sure, what does the Speed Guide's port tester say about your port?

Also, can you read the µTorrent User Manual's advanced port forwarding guide to make sure we're on the same page regarding double NAT?

Every time I've used the port checker function it's reported that the port was not forwarded. The one day that everything was working I didn't check it because the uTorrent icon was green and speeds were good.

I'm not sure if it's been red, but it was orange for a brief time and the message was about fire walling. At that point I contacted a tech where I bought my AVG internet security and we made a change that forwarded the port. The problem was that it only lasted until I rebooted my pc. Here's that point in the PortForward thread: http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?num=1234022825/27#27

I'm a big noob, but I'll check out the advanced port forwarding guide.

Thanks.

edit: I looked at the double NAT section of the advanced guide. I had my ISP bridge the modem so I wonder if that doesn't eliminate that as an issue.

Also, my modem only has one ethernet port.

edit: Should I ask Windstream for a different modem?

I don't know much about this stuff, but it seems odd that I can't make the correct settings to forward a port.

Archived