New computer gets slower d/l speeds than old computer

EuphoricAmoeba

I just custom built a new computer and set up windows xp sp2 as identically as possible to the old computer. same set of updates, same windows installation disc, set up static ip and port forwarding, ran speed test and set options in utorrent accordingly. nothing seems to help. on my old computer, i had the speeds set to unlimited on both up and down and on healthy torrents would get 500k/s or better. on my new computer i get around 20 or 30k/s down but upload at over 100 which is fine since my upload capacity is over 200. so i tried setting it to unlimited like on my old computer and there's no improvement. i've read many bittorrent speed guides and tried all the suggestions. my port is forwarded properly, the circle is green. the half-open limit isn't patched on either computer. the only thing i can think of is it's something hardware related. is there something in the bios i need to tweak? if anyone knows exactly what is wrong, please tell me! thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

Had a similar problem about 1 year ago - moved to this computer. Got so peed off got in touch with my isp provider. They denied any tampering and I threatened to change to another, swore at them and about ten minutes later was back to normal

that's weird...

what's also weird though, is that i can boot up the old computer, and download a torrent just fine. but if i try the same torrent with this one, it goes slow. all software settings are the same. so is it hardware or what? even updating my mobo drivers made no difference. what gives???

i have the same software on both. i set the new up as identically as possible to the old one. the only difference between the two is literally the hardware and the drivers. even if i disable windows firewall AND avast, it makes no difference. i guess it's my motherboard drivers then... which sucks because even the updated ones aren't any better.

Archived