Optimizing utorrent for ridiciously high bandwidth

ZerXes

Hi!

Im will be on a lanparty a couple of weeks from now where Im going to be responsible for the network and we will have a internet connection with a bandwith 1Gbit/1Gbit and I will ofcourse be connected to the core switch :)

I will have 3 drives in RAID0 for download/upload so I think I will be able to read atleast 400Mbit+ from my machine.

what I need help with is optimizing my utorrent settings for that bandwidth...

I think one of the major bottlenecks will be that bittorrent cuts the file in such a small pieces so the sliding windows wont be able to get the speed up before a piece is done... is it possible to increase the size of the pieces or is that controlled from the tracker or even the bittorrent protocol?

also how many slots and incoming connections would be suitable to have?

and what about the disc cache settings?

my machine has a Q6600 processor and 4gb of RAM by the way.

what moore settings should I change to be able to push as much as possible on the connection?

thanks in advance

I think one of the major bottlenecks will be that bittorrent cuts the file in such a small pieces so the sliding windows wont be able to get the speed up before a piece is done... is it possible to increase the size of the pieces or is that controlled from the tracker or even the bittorrent protocol?

Request sizes are fixed. Validation sizes are multiples of request sizes defined at torrent creation time.

Disk cache settings are going to take a LOT of trial and error to get right.

ok, thank you for that info

where do I edit the validation multiple? All I find is "piece size" and that one is limited to 4096kb, I will probebly want to use larger pieces than that, is that possible? and what does auto detect do?

what will be the hard part of the disc cache settings?

If I just set the cache size manually to 1Gb for example?

where do I edit the validation multiple? All I find is "piece size" and that one is limited to 4096kb, I will probebly want to use larger pieces than that, is that possible? and what does auto detect do?

Larger is only possible with other torrent makers. Even 4MByte piece sizes are plenty large for what you want to do. Auto detect determines the piece size based on the total size of the torrent.

Disk cache settings will take more than just manually adjusting the size to get to work properly.

BitTorrent optimizes distribution of large files from a single (or a few) server(s) to a lot of other locations. Also the definition of large depends on the time it would take to transfer the file in question under normal (client-server) circumstances (to illustrate: You wouldn't make a torrent of a 1mb file*).

On the internet this works especially well because:

[ul][li]BitTorrent reduces costs for the servers (through less bandwidth usage).[/li]

[li]BitTorrent optimizes speeds in a asynchronous environment (connections in general have more download then upload).[/li]

[li]Due to the generally low speeds of the internet BitTorrent can starts working well from as low as a few dozen megabytes.[/li]

[li]Although there is usually one initial seeder there can be hundreds up to tens of thousands of peers in the course of an single torrents life. If the server had to send all that to each peer using it's own upstream it would have taken years.[/li]

[/ul]

Now take BitTorrent in a 1gb LAN:

[ul][li]There is no bandwidth cost (you don't pay per GB transferred) for any party involved.[/li]

[li]Connections are synchronous (but this simply means that BitTorrent doesn't NEED to help optimize the negative side-effects of asynchronous connections because there are none).[/li]

[li]The upload of an average GB lan peer is roughly 1000 times as high as the upload of the average internet connection. So what are considered large files is also about 1000 as high. BitTorrent can start working well from as 'low' as a few dozen GB.[/li]

[li]On a LAN there usually are only a few dozen up to a few hundred peers in the life of a single torrent (first because a torrent doesn't stay up for more then a few days, second because there are a lot less people in a LAN then on the internet and as a result in general a lot less people will be interested in a given torrent). It is usually possible to send the data from the server to everybody interested utilizing the upstream of the server only.[/li][/ul]

So BitTorrent isn't really useful in a such a LAN. The non-sequential nature of BitTorrent can actual REDUCE max speeds in such an environment (or at least increases the strain on some of the hardware involved).

You are likely better off using the sequential transfer methods to distribute data such as FTP, Shares or DC++. Especially DC++ works well in LANs.

* Actually you might see such small torrents from time to time but the reason for those isn't BitTorrent's efficiency. Usually the distributors want to make something available through the same channels as closely related larger material.

If you could, put the most shared file/s on a ramdrive.

I dont have that much ram avalible to be able to do that ;)

@ Lord Alderaan

Thank you for a detailed answer, but you misunderstood me :)

I will have an _Internet connection_ of 1Gbit/1Gbit to seed as much as possible to my internet sites.

I know that useing torrents on a small Lan is rather pointless...

btw, I found a torrent maker that allows me to make torrents with 16Mb pieces, that should probebly help when having many connections open...

Archived