Copyright Infringement

Carpiquet

Hi, I recently received a copyright infringement notice forwarded to me by my ISP. I was under the impression that my downloads were protected if I have encryption on forced and "allow incoming legacy connections". Am I wrong? Also, if I am, is there anything I can do to protect my downloads?

The notice came from the ESA (Entertainment Software Association). Does anyone know how they found out what I'm downloading. If my ISP had sent me the notice, fine. But how did a third party know what I'm downloading?

encryption is useless, because they get your ip from the tracker or the other peers you are connected to, then log them (the ip) and use geoip databases to trace you. After that, they contact your isp. Its very simple. You should use one click hosters like rapidshare or whatever for dubious downloads.

BitTorrent TRACKERS track you, and hand out your ip as a "member" peer or seed on that torrent to ANYONE that asks. It's how BitTorrent works. Even if they can't connect to you because of firewall/you're using encryption and they aren't/ipfilter.dat, it doesn't matter -- the BitTorrent Tracker hands out your ip anyway!

Archived