Uploads vs downloads and other network activity (QoS)

void5

I believe that many of this forum users already know how torrents work and how high burden it puts on your broadband internet connection (especially if you do not limit download/upload speed below actual connection bandwidth in uTorrent etc). You also know that it is almost impossible do use something "realtime" (like Skype or online games) when uTorrent is downloading/uploading a lot. What many of you do not know is that this situation can be significantly improved by using QoS (Quality-Of-Service) methods.

If you have some computer skills, please try my project - Internet Cooler. This is a software application for Windows which implements QoS and traffic shaping for you internet connection. You configure it with your internet connection parameters, disable download/upload limits in uTorrent and Internet Cooler does the rest - provides high speed download/uploads and low latency, automatically decreases P2P speed when web-browser is active and so on. In many cases it is even possible to play online games with working uTorrent but get minimal or even zero ping increase.

Please note, however, that Internet Cooler is still in its infancy and can be hard to comprehend and configure for a novice user. I would appreciate any constructive feedback (and especially for english documentation - this is not my native language).

Please feel free to ask any questions here or via e-mail.

(I do hope that this subject is enough "on topic", if it is not - please let me know so this discussion can be moved to a more appropriate place)

Even when using QoS, uTorrent should still be limited on its upload speed max to roughly the highest upload speed it is likely to get. Otherwise, estimates uTorrent makes on what to do next can be off considerably...which can hurt your download speed.

Archived