ports not opening?

fin1

i did everything portforwarding said to do but still ports not opening. port checker seems to be yellow most of the time but does sometimes turn green for short periods? DLink DR-628 router, windows fiewall off, avast AV . I have tried everything. please help new to this. thanks in advance.

fin1

The DHCP server may have assigned a new IP address for your workstation. And since port forwarding is IP specific, you may need to change your IP addresses your router. The router will need to your match your workstation IP. To figure out your current assigned IP, do Windows+R then type cmd). At the command prompt, type IPCONFIG.

uTorrent is firewalled because something ELSE blocked it...not because of uTorrent!

There's an ever-growing list of software that has decided they need to muck around with network settings. Antivirus programs that contain software firewalls. Web browser "toolbars"...that route network datastreams through themselves.

Many newer ADSL modems also contain mini-routers/firewalls which further compound getting uTorrent the green light.

People with VoIP often have multiple layers of routers, with the mess that takes to configure.

Then there's access rights and permissions of windows itself.

Lastly, there is often the complete and utter failure of networking hardware to support Windows UPnP -- so even when uTorrent has that enabled...it doesn't help!

I made a post the other night where I could not get my port I wanted to open for Utorrent to download. I was staying red. Anyway I downloaded the program from portforward.com that checks to see if your port is open and connectible. I found out mine was open but Utorrent was still not connectable for some reason. I gave up after trying for hours to get Utorrent to go "green" and shut down. Tonight I downloaded another torrent and started downloading and I noticed I was "green" and downloading a lot faster, i then downloaded the same exact torrent I was downloading the other night when Utorrent claimed I was not connectible and guess what... I was still "green" and downloading 3 times faster than the other night.

So I figure when I restarted my laptop something got set properly that apparently was not set right the other night or Utorrent was just on the fritz. Anyway, I am glad I got my issues resolved.

Archived