Seed and Peer help

sscsr1

I am just trying to understand what my screen is saying to me. I am DL a torrent. It says 2 (130) under seeds and 40 (1494) under peers. Does this mean that only 2 of 130 seeders are seeding? or I am only connecting to 2 out of a possible 130 seeders? The speed is very slow like 1.08 KB/s or less. But I have other torrents that have said 1 (12) seeds that the speed was fast like 185.0 KB/s. Could someone please help me to understand this better. I have a ipfilter loaded and use PG2 as well and was wondering if that may cause me to not connect to some seeders. Thanks for the help.

Does this mean that only 2 of 130 seeders are seeding

No

I am only connecting to 2 out of a possible 130 seeders?

Yes

I have a ipfilter loaded and use PG2 as well and was wondering if that may cause me to not connect to some seeders.

It can cause you to not connect to a LOT of seeds, as well as a lot of peers.

Connecting to more seeds doesn't guarantee you better speeds.

Follow the Setup Guide

Thanks for the quick reply DreadWingKnight. I have been through the setup guide before and just to recheck myself I went through it again and have everything set up correctly. I was just thinking that it was strange that there are so many seeders and I am only connecting to 1 or 2 of them. I have tested my speed and my ports and all is well. I have noticed that my upload speed is not maxing out like it used to either. My upload speed is 32KB but it is only hitting 18 to 25 KB. My ISP does not throttle. That's what makes me wonder about the ipfilter and PG2. Also I just switched to PC Tools firewall from Sunbelt because with Sunbelt I kept getting a BSOD when I use uTorrent. But everything in the firewall is set to full access as well. Can you think of anything else I might have missed or that I need to do to improve things?

The only ips you might should consider blocking are the known BitTorrent poisoner ranges, of which I list the worst offenders here:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=46221

Nothing good can come out of those ranges. :P

Very rarely, you may find a single ip that's giving you bad data (probably due to using an older D-Link router in DMZ mode or sharing a file that changed after the torrent was created)...that too you might want to block for awhile (maybe a week to a month) in the hopes they fix it later.

Thanks Switeck, So if I understand correctly I should scrope PG2 all together, and I can copy the ip list that you posted the the other thread, paste it into notepad, name it ipfilter.dat and put it in utorrent and that will still serve the purpose of having a filter while cutting out all the extra baggage that may be preventing me from connecting like I should?

Archived