Higher the upload - slower the download

fritzelly

Hi

I have a u/d of 385k/3mb download so I set my upload to 30k but this seems to cripple my downloads - dropping to about 30-50kb, yet if I set my upload to 10kb or less then the downloads go to the full download limit.

Is there some setting in utorrent that is amiss, I don't remember changing anything that might affect this.

Cheers

oops missed the Speed forum - can a mod move it? tx

Set upload speed to 20 KB/sec.

Then once you get that result as a "benchmark average", try adjusting global and per-torrent connections down and up and watching the results over 5-10 minute periods.

The types of torrents you're on can have a HUGE effect on the results! Private torrents may only have a few seeds on each yet still get decent speeds...while public torrents can have many seeds and still be slow.

I've just downloaded a bandwidth monitor to see whats using my internet, also checked with netstat. Even though I have utorrent set at 12kb up the monitor is showing my upload at roughly 30kb, when I decrease the upload the actual upload from my pc hangs around 12-14kb more than utorrent is set at. When i exit out of utorrent this goes down to basically 0. So it seems utorrent is sending something somewhere...and maybe this explains when I increase my upload it's throttling my download...??

Archived