Windows 7 taskbar icon

Ooble

It would be great if uTorrent supported the new Windows 7 taskbar: namely, showing the icon at all times even when the window isn't visible, and using it as the application anchor rather than an icon in the notification area. The new version of Windows Live Messenger for 7 demonstrates this pretty well.

The taskbar in Windows 7 has taken some features from the Mac OS dock which uTorrent could use quite effectively, such as the ability to show the number of completed downloads or current speeds (similar to the way Transmission works), a background progress bar (though this could actually be more annoying for some), and a couple that Microsoft came up with, such as Aero Peek and the jump list, which could be used for displaying any information the devs feel like.

Clearly this isn't an urgent feature - uTorrent works fine as it is, and UI enhancements take time that could be spent on other, perhaps more important things. That said, I hope the devs are thinking about it, as it would be quite nice for those of us who are already running the beta.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'd really, really love to see this, it's especially useful for those who aren't huge torrent users, but just use it for specific files, in which case the system tray isn't so applicable and the progress bar widget that can go on the taskbar icon would be great.

The idea is not horrible, but UI changes are always last to go, unless you get alot of support and / or provide some code yourself. And even then, ;)

Explain how the application icon doesn't work now? You drag uT to the taskbar, it's there.

Or are you talking about that horrid feature http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=49854 or http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=49989

One thing I could not stand was the information spam on my screen. And I like my taskbar icon :/ They're taking them away and moving them to BE the icon. Jump list, integrating the taskbar icon into the main icon?? Sure, after the minimum required version is Windows 5 (XP) and they can remove legacy code, and replace it with post XP code... vista/windows 7 specific. A badge over the icon? So instead of using an analog to the download bar or keeping it in the tooltip you want to render text over an icon, am I getting you?

Argh! No, not text on the icon, that would be really ugly (and that idea IS horrible). I can't say for the OP but I didn't think that's what (s)he meant.

No, what I mean is, there are some users for whom it's not possible or desirable to have loads of downloads on the go, and they launch utorrent only when they want to download something specifically (like, for example, the Windows 7 RC, which I couldn't get working from microsoft's servers). Windows explorer has a subtle but useful notification on the taskbar of progress when copying - see here http://blogs.msdn.com/blogfiles/e7/WindowsLiveWriter/HappyAnniversaryWindowsontheEvolutionoft_1365F/clip_image016_thumb.jpg ...it just means that you don't have to open the window to check on progress. I thought that as most of the code for this seems to be in windows 7 (see http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/developers/archive/2009/04/03/windows-7-taskbar-net-sample-library-an-overview.aspx for a brief tutorial/guide), and it doesn't affect compatibility with other OSes, it would be a really nice touch for end-users, and it's more subtle and integrated than the floating download bar that has already been approved and integrated by the devs. Note that this function is completely independent of taskbar "pinning".

Personally, I'd also love to see the status of current downloads when I hover over the icon - like I get for Live Messenger telling my my online status - but I don't think you'd be very keen on that idea :P

I was thrilled when I saw the taskbar icons turn the main color of the window ;) Eye candy isn't all useless, some actually holds utility. I still would rather see my old trusty list of open windows/tabs for things. I was horrified when I saw IE auto sub-renders thumbnails... unfortunately I can only have that on VMs because they score 1.0 in WEI.

Putting RC through its paces now that I have the bits, as they say.

• 1 month later...

I dont see how the current "Pin to taskbar" doesnt work well enough, aside from there is no option in utorrent to "minimize on close", only "close to system tray" which works fine, but for windows 7 to allow the same functionality, there need be a "minimize on close" or some sorting of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, why do you want Minimize and Close do exactly the same thing? Turn off every "xxx to tray" thing and use minimize to minimize it (duh). Even if you still click Close by accident (due to habits etc.), uTorrent will display a confirmation dialog :)

Archived