How safe?

Tibetan Snowlion

While Norton's virus detection capabilities are among the top, it conflicts with programs, and causes a general slowdown in computer operations. Its firewall isn't so great either. I'd say dump it and grab an alternative. I use only ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite, but I'm sure there are a great deal of combinations of applications that will keep you well protected. Unfortunatly, I can't really suggest anything aside from ZoneAlarm, since it's what I'm most familiar with. I guess you can wait for other people in the forums to suggest their favorites (there are already some threads on this topic, if you want a head start).

As for safety... for waht it's worth, µTorrent has had no history of security holes. Even while using µTorrent, your computer will be as safe as you set it up to be (firewall, antivirus, etc). Port forwarding to µTorrent shouldn't compromise your computer security.

Port-forwarding non-microsoft-standard ports doesn't really leave any hole open which can be exploited externally. If there's no vulnerable program running that is listening on that port, there's nothing that can act as a doorway into your computer.

Due to the way µTorrent works, it is pretty unlikely to have a security hole. There's a remote chance of a buffer overflow condition, but with all the known memory leaks of µTorrent being already stamped out...a buffer overflow is even LESS likely. Making a program capable of dealing with unreliable network traffic is a must in a multi-client BitTorrent environment. That program simply shouldn't even try to guess what to do with data it can't read, it should immediately discard and ignore it.

Archived