Frequent Dropping And low speeds help plz.

DarkenSX

Hi my internet seems to cut out when Downloading torrents then i get really low speeds after reconnecting.

My ISP: Verizon Dsl

My Router : D-Link WBR-2310

My modem: Westell 6100 in bridge mode

All ports required Are open too. If anyone knows what to do please help

What i have tried so far restarting utorrent & modem and router seems to fix only on a temp basis tried disabling ip resolve, dht, upnp. still no fix

# Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar (at the bottom of the µTorrent main window):

green.

What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes:

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 18468 on 72.74.2.xxx...

OK! Port 18468 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be (press Ctrl+G in µTorrent)

xx/768k

upload limit: 72.0kB/sec Upload Slots: 5

connections per torrent: 100 Connections global: 450

Max active torrents : 5 Max active Downloads : 4

What you have net.max_halfopen set to (Preferences > Advanced in µTorrent)

Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?)

Vista Home Basic SP1

Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware)

Comodo Internet Security , Comodo BoClean

Exact router model(s), and exact modem model

Router: D-Link WBR-2310 re-ver A1 firm 1.05 Modem: westell 6100

# ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used

Verizon

Connection type (DSL, cable, dial-up), and the results obtained from the speed test (when running the Speed Guide), for both download AND upload. Be sure that you aren't using your connection for any other reason besides testing, while testing. That means no downloading, no IMing, no µTorrent running, no browser activity (other than the testing), etc. Additionally, no other computer on your network (if any) should be using the connection. When you select a testing mirror, use the ones that are geographically closest to you.

DSL

Results :

Dload: 1467Kbs

Upload: 369Kbs

Latency: 65ms

ok tried setting speed to correct settings still the problem is happening the internet will still disconnect during seeding and downloading not as frequent though. Also when internet dies the router looses the ISP provided ip and i have to reboot it sometimes to obtain again

Sounds like a bad router...

Is your computer's LAN ip address static/fixed?

Is your computer's LAN ip address outside of your router's DHCP range?

Are you forwarding both TCP and UDP using a single "BOTH" forwarding rule on your router?

Are you sure it's your router and not your modem that's dropping?

• 2 weeks later...

"Sounds like a bad router...

Is your computer's LAN ip address static/fixed? -1

Is your computer's LAN ip address outside of your router's DHCP range? -2

Are you forwarding both TCP and UDP using a single "BOTH" forwarding rule on your router? -3

Are you sure it's your router and not your modem that's dropping? -4 "

1. My Lan ip is fixed.

2. no its not outside the range.

3. yes i am.

4. not really sure doesnt seem like its the modem because rebooting the router solves it temporarily and it only happens with torrents nothing else.

Linksys routers in particular (and no doubt other brands) require fixed/static LAN ips to be outside the DHCP (dynamic/random) LAN ip range in order for port forwarding to work correctly.

I don't know if 3rd party router firmware has that problem...

A MAJOR problem with ADSL modems in particular is many routers don't probably communicate with them in PPPoE/PPPoA mode. Which means either the modem has to act as a mini-router and extra firewall layer to configure...or your router tries to use PPPoE/PPPoA modes directly and may be "talking trash" to the modem. Even a good modem may slow way down trying to renegotiate after bad packet exchanges with the router.

That's why it's hard to rule out the router even when resetting the modem seems to "fix" the problem for awhile.

Archived