First & Last piece priority

Martin Levac

I'm not sure it's a problem but it feels like it is for some reason. I usually get first and last piece of each file within the torrent, is this normal? I read somewhere that it does this by default but I thought it only went for first and last of the torrent, not of each file within it.

In the torrent I'm downloading, there's 100 files, 2MB pieces and 703 pieces total. I have all first and last of each file but I have a hard time believing that it's an improvement over random piece except first and last of the torrent. If you do the math, it makes 200MB of pieces (out of a total of 1.37GB) that have priority over any other random piece.

I have the impression that I have very little to share with other uTorrent peers up to the 200MB mark. Then random piece selection takes over.

Is this a problem and is there the possibility that it will be fixed somehow or at least give me the choice? Also, I'd like to know the reasoning behind this method.

ML

It works like that because people wanted to be able to preview their files. Each file has to be "previewable," so each file gets the first and last piece downloaded. It doesn't really matter that you're getting the first and last pieces before others, since you're still sharing them anyhow...

Is that a general BT feature or is it only found in uTorrent? Can I turn this off? It sounds exactly like file selection only it does it automatically despite the user's preference.

The way I see it, it prevents me from trading with peers that have all those pieces until the 200MB mark and I have to trade with peers that haven't yet reached the same 200MB mark.

Firon, even if it does get random pieces too, I don't see it. All I see is first and last until the 200MB mark with very few random pieces in between and I do mean very few. I noticed this behavior since the beginning but I hadn't thought of it as a problem until now.

Who do I trade with if all peers have those pieces and I just start the torrent? Since my tendency is to ask for those pieces until I get them all, I don't trade with anybody until I reach this 200MB mark. Then random piece selection takes over to effectively start trading. Up to that mark, I'm just a leech and we all know what happens when a leech has nothing to share.

Here's another torrent I just started. 4MB pieces, 1116 pieces, 92 files, a minimum of 368MB of first and last. Of all the peers that I've seen yet, only 3 have less than 368MB. Out of 16 pieces already gotten and being requested, 4 of them are random. Who am I getting these random pieces from? Who do I trade these random piece with? Who am I getting first and last from? Who am I trading these with?

It appears it's getting 1/4 of random pieces and 3/4 of first and last. Can I turn it off and get only random pieces?

ML

Archived