utorrent works but kills everything else

krizzl0r

hi there..

i've been using utorrent for a while now. but lately (i guess since i switched from nav to kaspersky) it causes too many problems..

short time after i started utorrent i cannot start firefox (or other apps) and surfing is impossible too.. there is nothing being received. when i close utorrent it takes a few seconds and everything works again. applications i tried to start are starting and the websites i tried to access are suddenly loading :o

i tried to kill some other processes i.e. kaspersky (because i supposed it was the root of all buggy evil).. but nothing changes until i kill utorrent :((

it does neither use all bandwidth (and that wouldnt explain why applications dont start up) nor cpu time or memory.

pretty weird. but maybe some of you experienced the same and know a solution? i honestly dont.

thanks for listening (:

I have a similar problem

uTorrent just kills my bandwidth

everything loads at a snail's pace

worse, you can't just STOP the torrent because it still connects to the tracker and slows down my system, I have to QUIT the program entirely

can you suggest what settings to use?

I set a very low upload limit and my download is slow with 3kB/s upload anyway

My dad doesn't trust me. :(

he even changed the password because I tried the default for that model, but it didn't work

when I threatened to reset the router to factory settings he threatened to cut my cord and change the wireless password

so I'm not going forwarding my port any time in the near future

but uTorrent just stresses my connection so much I can only run it when I'm asleep

but Azureus didn't stress my connection this much with a higher upload cap

these are the settings I put in according to that web script in the sticky:

Network Options › Global maximum upload rate: 10

Network Options › Alternate upload rate: 12

Network Options › Global maximum download rate: 77

Torrent Options › Global maximum number of connections: 128

Torrent Options › Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 16

Torrent Options › Number of upload slots per torrent: 2

Advanced Options › net.max_halfopen: 64

I remember getting the tcpip.sys patch a long time ago

still gives me problems...

My dad doesn't trust me. :(

so I'm not going forwarding my port any time in the near future

Would he trust you to be able to play a game online? If that's the case, many games require port-forwarding as well to work ok for multiplayer online.

Do your research and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

µTorrent isn't particular WHAT port/s are forwarded -- only that it gets to use whichever one is forwarded.

Hi, I'm having the same problem with everything dying. Somtiems shortly after things die uTorrent starts going really slow too. I've just managed to get around the shaping problem with my isp. Turned off DHT, patched tcpip, my upload never goes about 5 kbps, the only thing i'm not sure of is the net.max_halfopen .. right now it's on the default.. is there anything else that can help me here? My connection pretty much dies after uTorrents been running for a couple of minutes.

Ya, everything is up to date, it only started doing this recently.. it actually stops things from working all over the network when im only downloading at like 15 kbps :|

edit: who knows.. maybe my isp is severely limitting the number of connetions

edit: I think this problem was caused entirely by rogers.. changing ports to the one listed in the speed problems section and enabling protocol encryption seems to have helped a lot.

Ya.. i finally get my speeds back up with bittorrent :D

But it's still killing everything else.. but at least its' doing it with fast download speeds.. at least this way i can download what i want when i want.. rather than not being able to download it AND not being able to use the internet for other purposes. Rogers is so bad :(

Find out what ports are forwarded for your installed games and use one of them in µTorrent.

only port 6112 but then I can't play the game while torrenting and it still makes me lag a lot

and while it doesn't say NAT error it doesn't say that it's OK either (is it supposed to say that everything's fine?)

Archived