This program is freeware, if you paid for it you have been scammed #2

levicki

I have read the old thread about this and as I see it, this message is still an issue so I am starting a new thread.

I am getting the above message with uTorrent 1.8.2 every time I start the program.

I did reformat C: drive at one point and haven't reinstalled uTorrent to be able to keep my old settings and folders (I keep it as self-contained).

Is there really no way to solve this other than deleting all config files and configuring the program again?

I would really hate to have to do that.

If uTorrent was Windows XP then this message would be akin to Windows Genuine Advantage tray notification and even that can be disabled or avoided in the first place.

I really do not understand author's concern -- those who paid for uTorrent really do not deserve any attention because their stupidity is beyond words, it is not like they can make any damage or press charges if they paid for a free software.

My suggestion is to write the message in the about box and on the first page of a help file, in my opinion that should be enough.

If you really want it more prominent, then at least make a splash screen instead of a modal message box which requires clicking to go away and provide an option in preferences to disable it.

Anything more than that is an overkill, and it is just annoying.

I really hope that there will be a new version soon with one or more of my suggestions implemented instead of that nagging box.

My suggestion is to write the message in the about box and on the first page of a help file, in my opinion that should be enough.

No one ever looks at those, so the message will get ignored.

IF you're getting it on EVERY launch of uTorrent, you have something on your system interfering with uTorrent's writing of its method of remembering if you've received the message or not.

I really do not understand author's concern

You haven't seen the people that have demanded for stuff from us because they supposedly paid us for support (when we don't charge for the program, nor do we charge for support.

Disabling UAC doesn't guarantee that everything will work as if it never existed. I'm not a fan of websites that advocate that as a solution to everything as it hardly solves even most problems.

Try right-clicking on uTorrent and selecting "Run as administrator". I suspect the issue is related to file and folder permissions, and merely being "an administrator" is not the same as being "THE Administrator". You should only have to do this once if my suspicion is correct.

1. uTorrent is renaming old settings files and creating new files which inherit permissions from the parent folder. In Vista SP1 the owner of a new file created in any folder below Program Files hierarchy is the Administrators group and the Administrators have full control over the file. That means the permissions to settings files are set correctly.

2. My user is member of Administrators group, therefore I have full control over the settings files.

3. UAC is disabled, Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and Security Center are disabled and I am not using an antivirus. In other words -- I don't have any program interfering with uTorrent.

If I knew where and how the setting is stored I would be able to figure out what (allegedly) prevents it from doing so. Since that is a "secret", then the authors should perhaps perform more extensive testing on a wider variety of systems including resizing and reformatting partitions while keeping uTorrent folder around for use in a new OS installation.

If they are already going out of the way and showing the nag box for a handfull of idiots who paid for a free program, then such testing would be the least they can do to ensure that the box really goes away after it has been shown once.

So no, I don't think it is an issue with file permissions.

As for the Run As Administrator suggestion -- if a program needs to be run under THE Administrator account to accomplish something then that is a bug.

Running under the user account which is a member of Administrators group should be enough to enable/escalate the privileges the program needs to do its bidding.

No I can't do that for %APPDATA% because settings are in the application folder as I already said in my first post.

utorrentpermissions.png

Folder STATIC has the same permissions and the same owner as the Program Files folder (I set it up that way) so what would work in Program Files should also work there. No other programs (and I keep a lot of them there) except uTorrent had any issues with permissions so far.

Here is a random folder from Program Files so you can compare the permissions:

mptpermissions.png

I understand that you cannot see all the details from the screenshot, but I can assure you that they are identical.

Here is the cacls output for settings.dat file just in case:

c:\STATIC\uTorrent>cacls settings.datc:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat BUILTIN\Administrators:(ID)F                                NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(ID)F                                BUILTIN\Users:(ID)R

1. uTorrent is renaming old settings files and creating new files which inherit permissions from the parent folder. In Vista SP1 the owner of a new file created in any folder below Program Files hierarchy is the Administrators group and the Administrators have full control over the file. That means the permissions to settings files are set correctly.

Yes, in theory and in general practice, that is how it works.

2. My user is member of Administrators group, therefore I have full control over the settings files.

Eh, that MAY be correct. And it may not be 100% correct. Do you trust anybody, including Microsoft, to make a 100% bug-free piece of software?

3. UAC is disabled, Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and Security Center are disabled and I am not using an antivirus. In other words -- I don't have any program interfering with uTorrent.

Again, disabling UAC won't really solve any problems related to file permissions. It may sidestep a few of them, but in my experience it won't solve the majority of them. Being part of the Admin group is different from being the Admin account. I've said it before, but it's a fact that any Unix/Linux/BSD user knows all too well. Sometimes having the "group" permissions aren't enough.

If I knew where and how the setting is stored I would be able to figure out what (allegedly) prevents it from doing so. Since that is a "secret", then the authors should perhaps perform more extensive testing on a wider variety of systems including resizing and reformatting partitions while keeping uTorrent folder around for use in a new OS installation.

I've moved it several times, works fine for me. In fact, I've never seen the "this program is freeware" screen. Ever. I have a fresh Vista machine I"m working on right now, Windows is newly installed, I just installed uTorrent on it, no warning about freeware.

If they are already going out of the way and showing the nag box for a handfull of idiots who paid for a free program, then such testing would be the least they can do to ensure that the box really goes away after it has been shown once.

I gurarantee you that no "pay-for-use" program is tested to the degree you expect this "free" program to be tested. Windows hasn't even been tested in all possible resize/repartition scenarios. Neither has Office. I paid $850 for Office. If I reformat, I can't just copy over settings and have it work perfectly, if it works at all. How much did you pay for uTorrent? Oh right, $0. But you think it should be "tested" more extensively than a program that costs $850? Are you mad? I also assure you that 99% of the software you have installed has NOT been tested on resized partitions and reformatted on computers, something you're "demanging" uTorrent now do.

When I first tried to install Vista on this laptop, I got an error saying no suitable partition was found. The reason why? The Vista install program formatted the hard drive as FAT16. I have no idea why it did so. I deleted the partition and recreated it. It again formatted it as FAT16. So I booted into a partition manager I have, formatted it as NTFS, and Vista worked fine. Now it seems to me you're putting all your faith in the fact that "uTorrent is broken and Vista is perfect", and I assure you that NEITHER one works properly. I can go further and say that Vista isn't perfect, Vista's permissions aren't perfect, access control as implements on Vista by Microsoft isn't perfect, NTFS permissions aren't implemented perfectly, NTFS itself isn't perfect, your hard drive firmware isn't perfect, your BIOS isn't perfect, and chances are your physical processor, CMOS, RAM, Cache, bus, and hard drives aren't perfect. The error could lie in any one of those layers. So instead of arguing that "running as Admin shouldn't be needed", how about you take 3 seconds and just do it? If it works, we know the problem lies in Vista or in Microsoft's implementation of something (probably ACL), and uTorrent people can stop wasting time trying to solve it. Or, maybe they can chose to stick that variable somewhere else so that "run as administrator" isn't required. Or maybe "run as admin" isn't the problem and won't solve anything. That's possible. I may be wrong. It has happened before. But please, take the 3 seconds and try it.

>>I just installed uTorrent on it, no warning about freeware<<

You installed it, I copied it over. Since it has a self-contained mode I expect it to work.

>>I paid $850 for Office. If I reformat, I can't just copy over settings

>>and have it work perfectly, if it works at all.

Office stores its settings in registry which are lost when you reformat. uTorrent in self-contained mode should not.

>>How much did you pay for uTorrent? Oh right, $0.

So it is ok to that those who "paid" for it get a nag box, and not ok to expect that it doesn't bother others? You seem the be the one who is mad, not me.

>>you're putting all your faith in the fact that "uTorrent is broken and Vista is perfect"

I never said that. What I am saying is that a decently written program should put out a warning if it figures out that it can't save its settings.

>>how about you take 3 seconds and just do it?

How about I don't?

2:49:45.4919630 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    CreateFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat    SUCCESS    Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened2:49:45.4920572 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    QueryStandardInformationFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat    SUCCESS    AllocationSize: 8,192, EndOfFile: 4,118, NumberOfLinks: 1, DeletePending: False, Directory: False2:49:45.4920755 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    QueryStandardInformationFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat    SUCCESS    AllocationSize: 8,192, EndOfFile: 4,118, NumberOfLinks: 1, DeletePending: False, Directory: False2:49:45.4920880 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    ReadFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat    SUCCESS    Offset: 0, Length: 4,118, Priority: Normal2:49:45.4921151 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    CloseFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat    SUCCESS    2:49:45.4925815 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    CreateFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat.new    SUCCESS    Desired Access: Generic Read/Write, Disposition: OverwriteIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: None, AllocationSize: 0, OpenResult: Created2:49:45.4927691 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    QueryStandardInformationFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat.new    SUCCESS    AllocationSize: 0, EndOfFile: 0, NumberOfLinks: 1, DeletePending: False, Directory: False2:49:45.4929188 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    WriteFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat.new    SUCCESS    Offset: 0, Length: 57, Priority: Normal2:49:45.4929545 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    ReadFile    C:    SUCCESS    Offset: 41,291,776, Length: 96, I/O Flags: Non-cached, Paging I/O, Synchronous Paging I/O, Priority: Normal2:49:45.4930340 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    WriteFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat.new    FAST IO DISALLOWED    Offset: 57, Length: 4,0612:49:45.4930435 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    WriteFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat.new    SUCCESS    Offset: 57, Length: 4,061, Priority: Normal2:49:45.4931703 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    CloseFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat.new    SUCCESS    2:49:45.4933394 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    CreateFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat    SUCCESS    Desired Access: Read Attributes, Delete, Synchronize, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened2:49:45.4933703 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    QueryAttributeTagFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat    SUCCESS    Attributes: A, ReparseTag: 0x02:49:45.4933849 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    QueryBasicInformationFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat    SUCCESS    CreationTime: 3/11/2009 2:11:48 AM, LastAccessTime: 3/26/2009 2:23:36 AM, LastWriteTime: 3/26/2009 2:23:36 AM, ChangeTime: 3/26/2009 2:23:36 AM, FileAttributes: A2:49:45.4935104 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    CreateFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent    SUCCESS    Desired Access: Write Data/Add File, Synchronize, Disposition: Open, Options: , Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened2:49:45.4935659 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    SetRenameInformationFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat    SUCCESS    ReplaceIfExists: True, FileName: C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat.old2:49:45.4938710 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    CloseFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent    SUCCESS    2:49:45.4939321 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    CloseFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat.old    SUCCESS    2:49:45.4940860 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    CreateFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat.new    SUCCESS    Desired Access: Read Attributes, Delete, Synchronize, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened2:49:45.4941097 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    QueryAttributeTagFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat.new    SUCCESS    Attributes: A, ReparseTag: 0x02:49:45.4941235 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    QueryBasicInformationFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat.new    SUCCESS    CreationTime: 3/26/2009 2:49:45 AM, LastAccessTime: 3/26/2009 2:49:45 AM, LastWriteTime: 3/26/2009 2:49:45 AM, ChangeTime: 3/26/2009 2:49:45 AM, FileAttributes: A2:49:45.4942491 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    CreateFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent    SUCCESS    Desired Access: Write Data/Add File, Synchronize, Disposition: Open, Options: , Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened2:49:45.4943033 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    SetRenameInformationFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat.new    SUCCESS    ReplaceIfExists: True, FileName: C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat2:49:45.4945154 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    CloseFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent    SUCCESS    2:49:45.4946211 AM    utorrent.exe    2732    CloseFile    C:\STATIC\uTorrent\settings.dat    SUCCESS

If you are still with me, perhaps you believe now that the problem isn't with file permissions?

I'm "still with you". I never doubted you had perfect read/write permissions set up on your C:\Static folder. The output of cacls was sufficient for me to see that. But have you ever worked extensively with roaming profiles? The most common problem is an error claiming you don't have permissions on the profile folder on the network share. Ever checked effective permissions on the share and seen that both Share permissions and filesystem permissions gave full control to the user account that the profile is stored in, only to continue to get the error that the profile could not be loaded because you did not have permission? So you delete the folder, copy an old copy of the profile stores locally over, reset permissions to exactly the same as they were before, and it all works? I have. At least a few dozen times. But then, when you work as a SysAdmin for a company with 6 remote offices and 6,000 workstations and 4,500 users with roaming profiles, having 20-30 of them "not work" is "reliable enough" for both Windows and NTFS to meet their release criteria and be considered "good enough". uTorrent works probably just as well as them. Is it 100% perfect? No. Is the problem in your case guaranteed to be with permissions? No. But it would be nice if the appropriate troubleshooting steps were done to isolate where the problem is.

Your refusal doesn't "help" you. Nor does it make people want to help you. It just makes you look like a stubborn fool who's refusing to do 1 simple thing to possibly isolate the problem because you're 100% convinced you could not possibly be wrong about this being a permissions issue. I'm on the fence. I think there's a 50% chance you're write. But I'm not going to even try and examine any other possibility until you take 3 seconds to help yourself and prove it's not permissions related to not being on the Administrator account.

And no, my point wasn't "help those who have been scammed over those who got it free", my point was you're asking for MORE extensive bug-tested and a higher standard than $800+ software comes with. That was my whole point. I don't care about people who paid and got gipped. You're right, it's their own fault. I also don't care about people who won't complete simple troubleshooting steps.

My case has been sufficiently stated at this point. Right-click, run-as, or find someone else to help you. I don't work for uTorrent, I'm not an admin, I'm just a user. I thought I'd give you a hand because you seemed really frustrated and I happen to have a lot of experience at troubleshooting and solving IT problems of all sorts. If you don't want my help, fine. Continue to be frustrated. It really does make no difference to me.

>>But have you ever worked extensively with roaming profiles?

I did not, and I surely don't do that at home even though I have heard stories. The reason more not to focus on that so much especially now that I have shown the procmon trace.

Furthermore, if I mentioned something like "uTorrent doesn't remember its settings" then you could have suspected that the problem is with permissions but I didn't.

>>My case has been sufficiently stated at this point. Right-click, run-as

I am glad that you are trying to be helpfull, but if you are an IT guy who casually suggests people to run programs with elevated privileges then I am not sure I really want your help.

Finally, if uTorrent needed admin rights then it would say so in the UAC manifest but it doesn't -- it says:

<requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker"/>

You know what? Never mind all this, if I see the message again I will unpack the executable and patch it myself, it will be much easier.

>>But have you ever worked extensively with roaming profiles?

I did not, and I surely don't do that at home even though I have heard stories. The reason more not to focus on that so much especially now that I have shown the procmon trace.

My point is that permissions can be set 100% correctly there too and be reported correct by Windows, and yet the problem is in fact permissions. Windows is flawed. But, THE Administrator account bypasses all that and works flawlessly so you can FIX those errors by rebuilding profiles/shares. See how that works? Oddly enough, it may resolve a problem you're having with permissions on your uTorrent folder, it also might fix problems if uTorrent is trying to write somewhere else.

Furthermore, if I mentioned something like "uTorrent doesn't remember its settings" then you could have suspected that the problem is with permissions but I didn't.

Furthermore, reading comprehension is not your strong point. At what point did I say that uTorrent MUST store this in the settings file, or even the settings folder? Oh right, I didn't. I said I don't know where it gets stored. You know what the best part is? Neither do you. What if it makes a reg entry? What if it puts it in %appdata%? What if it puts it in %homepath%, or %systemroot% or %tmp%? Have you checked permissions on every possible scenario? No, you haven't. But what resolves permission problems on every possible scenario, including corrupt filesystem permissions? Oh right, THE administrator account, executed by right-click, run as administrator.

I am glad that you are trying to be helpfull, but if you are an IT guy who casually suggests people to run programs with elevated privileges then I am not sure I really want your help.

Actually, I work in search and rescue now. But I used to work in IT. I suggest elevated privileges where appropriate, such as a program that does something once, writes somewhere, and then stops doing it that's apparently not able to write. It's simple, don't you think? And if you refuse to take 2 seconds to see if maybe something simple fixes the problem, good luck find someone willing to help you.

Finally, if uTorrent needed admin rights then it would say so in the UAC manifest but it doesn't -- it says:

Code:

<requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker"/>

I thought you were complaining about a bug? If it's a bug, perhaps that's not what the UAC manifest should say. Not to mention you obviously don't know what "Run as Administrator" does. I'll give you a hint, it's not the same as "Run with my user account elevated with Administrator privileges". It's more like mapping a drive and selecting "connect using a different username" and in this case the username is "Administrator".

>>But, THE Administrator account bypasses all that<<

If the program asked me to bypass the security because there is no other way I would do it, but I won't do that just "because it might fix something".

>>Have you checked permissions on every possible scenario? No, you haven't.<<

You are right -- I haven't because I am not the one who should be checking that -- it is the application.

Application should check the error code after calling an API which may fail due to lack of permissions, and if the error can be acted upon (wrong permissions, low disk space, no network connectivity, etc) then it should be reported to the user, else if the user can't do anything about it (for example some API returning unexpected results) the application should log the error for troubleshooting by the application vendor.

uTorrent does neither of those two. That is why I keep saying it is a bug.

Furthermore, it does not always show the message. It works like this:

1. Run uTorrent = message

2. Close uTorrent

3. Run uTorrent = no message

Repeat 2 and 3 any number of times = no message, but:

1. Close uTorrent

2. Put the notebook to sleep

3. Wake it up

4. Run uTorrent = message

Such behavior clearly doesn't have anything to do with permissions and you keep being stubborn as a donkey.

I did and it didn't resolve the problem just as I expected. I can reproduce it easily by putting the notebook to sleep, waking it up, and running uTorrent.

Clearly, I am the stupid one here even though I am a software engineer myself, and you two are the smart ones so I have to play along.

I did everything you suggested, no dice. Now what?!?

If the program asked me to bypass the security because there is no other way I would do it, but I won't do that just "because it might fix something".

Then you have no idea how to troubleshoot and fix bugs. I'd ask for a refund from whatever school gave you the qualifications to become a "software engineer". Have you seen how many threads here are solved with "Uninstall your firewall/antivirus"? No company will support all these security products. If you have problems with Windows, Microsoft might ask you to do that, ISP's ask you to do that, heck they even ask you to bypass routers so you have NO firewall while troubleshooting. Why? People won't support someone else's product. "Uninstall norton. It works now? Good, call norton to have them help you get it working." PS. Run as administrator isn't a security risk. uTorrent won't install a worm or trojan. If you know lots about computers, you should already know this stuff.

You are right -- I haven't because I am not the one who should be checking that -- it is the application.

Mmmhmmm. But there might be a bug in the software, right? It's possible, that's one of the whole purposes of this forum. How do we figure that out? By troubleshooting. But if you refuse to troubleshoot, how can we figure that out? Besides, you posted in the "troubleshooting" forum. Why do that if you're not willing to troubleshoot?

Furthermore, it does not always show the message. It works like this:

1. Run uTorrent = message

2. Close uTorrent

3. Run uTorrent = no message

Repeat 2 and 3 any number of times = no message, but:

1. Close uTorrent

2. Put the notebook to sleep

3. Wake it up

4. Run uTorrent = message

Such behavior clearly doesn't have anything to do with permissions and you keep being stubborn as a donkey.

Hey yeah, provide this information NOW, not in the first post. That's a great way to work! I hope your customers are just as good at feeding you details on their problems, Mr Software Engineer. You can't leave out details like this then get upset when our troubleshooting doesn't reflect the actual issue.

Clearly, I am the stupid one here even though I am a software engineer myself, and you two are the smart ones so I have to play along.

Uh-huh. Software Engineer, but you don't understand the concept of troubleshooting flow and feel that "this happens everytime I start the program" is the same as "this only happens after waking from sleep"? If a client has a problem with your software and what they're saying it's doing seems to indicate a particular problem, do you continue to help them if they refuse to do step 1? And I would have simply called you stubborn until you added additional information after all this indicating a completely different problem. Why didn't you tell us in post #1 that it ONLY happened after waking from sleep? That's completely different from:

I am getting the above message with uTorrent 1.8.2 every time I start the program.

I would have hoped as a "Software Engineer" you would have learned about the "Deployment and Maintenance" part of the Software Life Cycle (aka Development Process, aka Software Engineering 101). This thread seems to indicate otherwise.

Now that we know you're REAL problem, we can try more relevent troubleshooting. But frankly, I'm just a user, not an admin and not affiliated with uTorrent. You've given me too big a headache, and I don't feel like troubleshooting with you kicking and screaming at every turn telling me how my steps aren't "relevent" and then changing the problem on me. I'll let the admins deal with it from here on out. But I think you'll find DreadWingKnight et al won't spend time trying to explain why their steps are necessary, they'll ask you to do them and then pretty much ignore you if you refuse. So it'd be in your best interest to be more cooperative in future, and more forthcoming with the details of your problem.

In future, put the information is post #1 so you don't waste everyone's time, ok?

PS. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science from one of Canada's provincial Universities. I can write compilers from scratch and Operating Systems in assembler. Courses covered everything from programming, to ethics, to robotics, to artificial intelligence, to networking, to clusters, to hardware architecture, to *gasp* software engineering. You want to name drop a title and make it sound like it makes you more qualified, fine. But be careful the people you're name-dropping to don't have the qualifications to do your job but decided to do something else for a living because it pays better. I don't care if you're Bill Gates, if you don't follow a flow and provide correct information your problem will never get solved. Having a title doesn't mean things will fix themselves by your pure force of will.

>>I'd ask for a refund from whatever school gave you the qualifications to become a "software engineer".<<

And I'd ask a refund from your mother if I were you, because your IQ is obviously lower than your weight.

>>Run as administrator isn't a security risk.<<

Yeah, you just keep telling that to yourself every night before going to bed.

>>But if you refuse to troubleshoot, how can we figure that out?<<

>>Why do that if you're not willing to troubleshoot?<<

I didn't refuse to troubleshoot you two-digit IQ moron, I proved you wrong several times with permissions, and I even ran the damn crap as the Administrator just to prove you wrong again.

>>Uh-huh. Software Engineer, but you don't understand the concept of troubleshooting flow and feel that "this happens everytime I start the program" is the same as "this only happens after waking from sleep"?<<

Your logic and deduction skills are unmatched in the known universe.

1. I start the program when I power on or wake the computer

2. this happens everytime I start the program

3. I don't restart the program until power-cycle

Therefore I don't have a way of knowing whether "everytime I start the program" is really every-fucking-time or not.

Actually, your suggestion to run as administrator might have lead me to a wrong conclusion that the problem has been solved because when I closed it and re-ran it as Administrator I didn't get the message.

Luckily I had to put the notebook to sleep and leave for a while, and after getting back and running uTorrent again I got the message just like before.

Finally, if you had any doubts regarding my usage pattern you should have asked some questions and you would have gotten some clarification, so stop preaching about proper troubleshooting when you obviously suck at it beyond the usual "uninstall-reinstall" or "run as admin" crap.

>>Now that we know you're REAL problem, we can try more relevent troubleshooting. But frankly, I'm just a user, not an admin and not affiliated with uTorrent.<<

Yeah right, I have been telling you from the start that it isn't permission related. Now that we know my real problem (btw, it's "your" not "you're" Mr. Bachelor), you can run away and hide because you were wrong and the problem seems to be way too complicated for you which I was saying from the very start of this thread but you insisted on wasting my time with your stupid first-grade-of-elementary-school-wiz-kid troubleshooting.

>>I can write compilers from scratch and Operating Systems in assembler. Courses covered everything from programming, to ethics, to robotics, to artificial intelligence, to networking, to clusters, to hardware architecture, to *gasp* software engineering.<<

Oh, a pissing contest, I love those!

I can debug compilers written by others, and you obviously missed all the other courses. Perhaps you should have listened to the AI course -- it might have helped you to cover the obvious lack of real intelligence.

And with all that knowledge you have chosen to work in search and rescue?

Must be that many people in Canada are getting lost each second when such a job is more attractive than being a software engineer. I can bet your success rate in S&R is low as well, most likely people are getting lost on purpose to get away from you.

As for the DreadWingKnight, he didn't suggest a single troubleshooting step.

>>In future, put the information is post #1 so you don't waste everyone's time, ok?<<

You know what I am going to do?

I am going to wait for 24 hours to get an official response from developers and if I don't get any I might release the patched version of uTorrent so at least someone can appreciate my troubleshooting efforts.

1. I start the program when I power on or wake the computer

2. this happens everytime I start the program

3. I don't restart the program until power-cycle

But you said it doesn't when you start from cold. So does it start when you power on too now, or only when you wake? Which is it?

And you didn't prove it wasn't "permissions" until you gave us the info that it isn't "every single time", which now you're saying it is again.

My base pay in SAR is triple what my software engineer friends make, and since I worked in the military to pay for my education, I had qualifications for that too. Why would I work for 1/3 the money?

I had no doubts about your usage patterns. You said it was "every time", and I took you at your word. Just because you neglected to give us information doesn't mean we should read your mind.

You never proved anything wrong. You showed that the permissions are "set" correctly, which means nothing in Windows. Windows is notorious for not following the set permissions, as per my example with roaming profiles. The only way to prove it wasn't, was to Run as Admin, which you did 3 days and several posts after the fact. Could've bypassed all this and gotten right to it, but you didn't.

I made a typo. Yeah, that's a sign of low IQ. I'm glad your posts are always flawless. You know people are grasping when they resort to insults based on typos.

Hey guess what? You can't write a program without debugging it when it fails. So I don't see how "debugging" is a step up. Seems to me we're probably at the same level, except I'm well aware of Windows' shortcomings. My point wasn't "I'm better than you", my point was "don't name drop like you're better than everyone else when they may be just as qualified as you." Seems you're feeling a little insecure though, with the constant attempts to make yourself look better and put others down. It's a little off-putting.

DreadWingKnight didn't suggest anything because he was waiting for you to Run as Administrator, since your initial posts made it sound like a permissions issue. Switeck is an "official" moderator as well. So, you see how being a stubborn ass has helped you? It's made it so no one cares to help you or not. It's called Karma. All because you refused to Right-click, Run As...

I'm looking forward to your patched version. Where are you getting the source? I hope you post a nice .diff file for us to see the changes you made. By the way, have you checked the EULA?

#

Restrictions.

The source code, design, and structure of µTorrent are trade secrets. You will not disassemble, decompile, or reverse engineer it, in whole or in part, except to the extent expressly permitted by law. You will not use µTorrent for illegal purposes. You will comply with all export laws. µTorrent is licensed, not sold.

For the record, it's not a matter of your problem being too complicated, it's a matter of why should I put in time and effort to giving you steps to take if you won't take them? Especially if you then tell us later that the issue is different from what you told us before? Frankly, my uTorrent works fine. With your attitude, I think it's divine justice yours doesn't work. That's just karma coming back at you for the immature name-calling and rudeness.

I'll give you a hint though to assist you digging through the source to find the issue: Windows Vista sleep is not a true sleep, it's a hybrid sleep. As such not all data restores the be the exact same as it was before you put it in sleep. You'll need to double check S1, S2 and S3 as well as BIOS settings. Details? Nah. I'll leave that up to you to try and figure out since you're an uber-genious who knows sooooo much more than the rest of us lowly single-digit IQ peons.

>>But you said it doesn't when you start from cold. So does it start when you power on too now, or only when you wake? Which is it?<<

Wake and cold power up are essentially the same thing as far as uTorrent is concerned. Computer loses power and all hardware is being reinitialized when it gets the power back.

>>I had no doubts about your usage patterns. You said it was "every time", and I took you at your word. <<

I said "every time I start the program", not "every time the program starts". There is a difference, but it is obviously too subtle for you to notice.

>>I made a typo.<<

That was not a typo.

Thisi s atypo. You mixed "your" and "you are". That's basic grammar, no excuse for you when I can master it even though English is not my primary language but something I picked up by watching TV shows.

>>So I don't see how "debugging" is a step up. <<

It is a step up if you are debugging someone else's code without the source like I do.

>>Where are you getting the source?<<

I don't need a source to patch the stupid message. I have a disassembler. That proves I am above you after all. Pissing contest has just ended, you lost.

>>I hope you post a nice .diff file for us to see the changes you made.<<

For uTorrent 1.8.2.14458 just patch two bytes at offset 0x4B899 after you unpack the executable of course.

I won't tell you what they should be changed into though. You will have to figure it out yourself if you are as good with assembler as you claimed above.

>>By the way, have you checked the EULA?<<

I don't need to -- I am just making the program work with my system in a way it was intended to work, and in which it works with other systems that aren't experiencing this particular problem. That isn't against the law.

>>Windows Vista sleep is not a true sleep, it's a hybrid sleep.<<

Which isn't on by default, genius.

Enough of this crap, I have just noticed that it sometimes shows the message when I run it after some time has passed since the last start (say more than three hours). So it seems that it is completely random and it might not be connected to the power cycle at all.

Listen folks, if this can't (or won't) be solved I am off to grab a copy of Vuze, I have decided that I have wasted too much time on this pointless debate while nobody except me is doing anything usefull.

levicki... you're just being an ass-hat... and you really should stop trying to pretend that you're better than your betters here...

>>I'd ask for a refund from whatever school gave you the qualifications to become a "software engineer".<<

And I'd ask a refund from your mother if I were you, because your IQ is obviously lower than your weight.

This kind of response merely demonstrates to everyone else which of you two really is the one with the inferior IQ in this conversation... (and, just between you and me, I'll let you in on something... it isn't dtjohnst.)

Therefore I don't have a way of knowing whether "everytime I start the program" is really every-fucking-time or not.

Of course you do... without shutting down or sleeping the computer, you exit uTorrent... wait for it to clear from memory, and re-start the program, without sleeping or shutting down in between... come on... doesn't take a mental heavyweight to figure that one out so you should be plenty capable of working that out for yourself... no way of knowing? please...

As for the DreadWingKnight, he didn't suggest a single troubleshooting step.

Of course not you twit... you didn't offer up the correct information, and wouldn't cooperate in troubleshooting... I believe you were already told that if you didn't comply, you would be ignored... you didn't comply... you were ignored... like, it is almost like a whole cause and effect thing going on there, doncha think? Kinda amazing how things work predictably like that.

Listen folks, if this can't (or won't) be solved I am off to grab a copy of Vuze, I have decided that I have wasted too much time on this pointless debate while nobody except me is doing anything usefull.

Wow, that's actually the best idea you've had so far! Let them deal with you instead. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!

Seriously, dude...

You've only succeeded in making yourself look bad, and in the process, a segment of your profession on top of it.

I swear, the kind of crud the colleges are pumping out these days...

This topic is going nowhere at this point.

Switeck requested it be closed, and I see no reason why it shouldn't at this point.

If you have another issue, I suggest you be more forthright with ALL of the relevant information right from the get-go. You'll find yourself getting much better results that way.

-- Smoovious

Archived