utorrent downloading files marked 'skip'

ozaman

Quite annoying I use a private tracker, and utorrent seems to be download parts of files marked skip. This is really annoying is this a bug? I have scoured the forums and not found reference to this issue.

Edit, I just noticed that the skipped files utorrent downloads, are half the file before, and half a file after a block of files marked for download.

Example: say a block of files marked for download start with piece 1610, and end with piece 1650, utorrent downloads half of pieces 1609, and 1651 respectively.

There's a bunch of threads on this, and it's not a bug. Files share piece boundaries, and µTorrent must download the entire piece. In your example pieces 1610 and 1650 would be shared across the files. The data that belongs to the skipped files gets put into the partfile.

@DreadWingKnight: Not to argue or anything, but back when I was an lowly BitVomit user... well... it didn't do this when you selectively downloaded files. There were no chunks left over. And yes, I understand it DID download them, as it would have to, but it didn't leave any temp files or any pieces for the user to see.

Not that it's a "bug" - but your claim that "ANY client you use" will do this isn't quite true :|

-Ares

What's so bad about not having *.dat files scattered all around your download folder? I assume it has to do with seeding chunks that have some of their data in the partfile. What if, after reaching the seeding ratio, the partfiles could be deleted automatically *as an option*?

Just a thought. Honestly trying very hard not to annoy anyone here... :|

-Ares

Have just encountered this same issue and initially thought it was a bug until reading this thread.

If this is intended behaviour, are the "spare parts" that cross file boundaries included in the initial "size" calculation when you choose which files to download?

I have limited my download of a specific torrent as I'm a little short of disc space (until I can burn some files to cd at the weekend), so if these spare bits have already been accounted for that's cool - if not, it could be a problem.

Archived