Utorrent causes (i imagine) high cpu use...

lister

When I have utorrent running (tried the latest beta and 1.4) I find it difficult to do anything else on the PC. Watching a video will lag/ freaze and then speed up for a moment, opening folders slows, winamp pauses, etc - just general unresponsiveness.

I tried disabling DHT, with no effect.

specs: Win2k pro SP4, 1gb ram, 2.7 ghz p4, 1 x 80gb, 1 x 250 gb hdd(both new). avast! AV, Zone alarm pro 4.5.594.000.

Make sure your drives are set to UDMA6.

Zone Alarm does not work with µTorrent (or most P2P apps for that matter), with the exception of version 6.x, and you have an OLD version.

Avast has a few 100% CPU bugs of its own, see if disabling/uninstalling fixes it.

How fast are you going?

It (ZA) worked fine on versions of µTorrent prior to 1.4.

Downloading speed isn't an issue - speed, of course, varies according to the torrent, but I have reached speed up to 200kbs (out of 250 maximum) and have limited the UL speed to about 15 kbs.

Personally I don't like the newer versions of ZA, too intrusive, and no more secure as a firewall right - a packets a packet?

As long as I set ZA to allow in and outgoing traffic and 'Authenticate program by full path name only' I never have any problems.

Sounds like a disk-contention (or a virtual memory caching) issue to me. A CPU issue would stutter in short choppy bursts. Disk battles are slower, have a longer duration, and often exhibit a more pronounced rubberband effect (pauses > 100 MS, sometmes followed by faster-than-normal speed to catch-up). If it's a CPU usage (or memory) issue, you can see it in the task manager or you can just run perfmon to watch cpu and disk traffic to be sure.

Make sure the advanced option diskio.flush_files is set to true and check the sparse file settings to disable them. I normally disable the pre-allocation options, but those can offer a trade-off that might work for you in this case. Note, that I have a striped pair of 7200 rpm SATA drives with 8 MB of on-board cache, so my anti-preallocate preference may be biased. :)

Check your write queue size and coalesce settings also. If you're using a large disk cache, it may disrupt other disk usage for a fairly long time as it unloads a bunch of buffers. If you watch videos, you'll want to optimize the disk usage for short bursts of small disk traffic, not big efficient chunks. IOW, disable caching options and flush the files often.

If your anti-virus is scanning those files, then that could very well be the real culprit.

If you're using a DVD to watch the video, then it may be an IDE bus battle. Again, small short disk traffic is better than large chunks.

Well, tried disabling µTorrent in the avast p2p scanner, and that seems to have fixed it.

I'll let it run as normal and see if the problem is rectified.

Thanks for your speedy (& insightful) help Firon! And thanks to you AllWeasel for listing the alternatives!

Archived