Lack of "Network OK" in Status Bar

Kenobi5000

Hey! I've been hearing good things about µTorrent, so I decided I'd take a vacation from BitComet to check it out. When I was reading the Mini-Guide to help get the best possible speed though, it said that unless I saw "Network OK" down in the status bar, I wouldn't get good speeds. Lo and behold, it's true. Now, just to make sure I get this right, I'm going to go down through the list of questions exactly as it appeared.

● I'm not getting the "Network OK" message, but I am getting the following: UPnP(32460), DHT: 176 peers (Updating), D: 0.1 kB/s (total 87.2 kB), U: 0.0 kB/s (total 70.8 kB). Note that the number of peers changes every once in a while, getting as high as 235 for example, and that the download might also be at 0.0, as it is right now. There is no "NAT Error" message.

● Cable network (Wall>Cable Modem>Router>Computer). Note that the router, a new Belkin Pre-N, is wireless, but also has four ethernet ports for wired connections, which is what's used. As for the speed, here's handy little clipping:

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 334 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 41 kB/s

Tested From:: http://testmy.net (server1)

Test Time:: Thu Jan 26 18:32:45 PST 2006

Bottom Line:: 6X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 24.98 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 36.33 % faster than the average for host (mindspring.com)

Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-T841LZSIE

● Windows XP. The router's firmware version is 1.01.03.

● The router has a firewall and I'm using ZoneAlarm. Oh, and I like to have PeerGuardian 2 on, but I'm not married to it (or ZoneAlarm, for the matter).

● Yes, according to the test site µTorrent sent me to, port forwarding is set up correctly.

● I haven't seen my ISP (Earthlink, in San Diego, CA to be precise) on any bad lists.

I'm happy to hear any suggestions you all may have! Thanks!

P.S. In your opinion, is it better or worse to be pingable, and if so, should only the router be pingable or should each computer be pingable?

Press Ctrl G and use the port tester.

If you don't see UPnP(xxxxx) OK, then it means you're not getting incoming connections. But if the port tester works, then it should be perfectly fine.

IN any case, you should not use UPnP, manual forwards work better.

On the router, I turned off the UPnP so that it was only set up manually, and then I disabled UPnP on µTorrent. After I turned it off on the router, the UPnP(xxxxx) OK left the status bar, and it didn't come back when I turned it off on µTorrent either. Any thoughts?

And also, just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, can you confirm that if it says UPnP(xxxxx) OK, then it's perfectly fine and I don't need to worry about getting it to say Network OK as well?

Thanks again for your help!

Ahh. Got it. Two final questions (hopefully, heh): in the port forwarder, should I have it be working with TCP or UDP on one port, both TCP and UDP on the same port, or TCP and UDP on two different ports for µTorrent?

Second, would you recommend I be pingable or unpingable? =D

For the life of me, I can't get it to say UPnP(xxxxx) OK again! Not even when I put it back to how I had it, which is curious by itself. Are there any extra settings I should be adding in since I'm connecting through a router?

Alright, so the µTorrent port checker said I set up the port forwarding correctly. I'm able to connect to a few other people (at horrible speed, nobody in the actual swarm), and it's not connecting to the tracker. Any thoughts?

Archived