100% CPU useage seems to be back with 0.9.1.1

Dr_Grip

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. Not too constructive. Were posting to fix THIS software. Not to abandon cuz it isn't fixed yet.

Anyway. I have the 100% CPU thingy too. Seems to only crop up when trying to find connections but getting none in return. Once someone connects the CPU throttles down again.

I'll try to post sample if I can get a torrent that can hiccup like that on command.

edit.

So I took a sample. Like posted before, it makes a scrolling adventure so if a dev steps in and asks for more "samples" I'll post it.

General observations:

Looks like the GUI (info pane) still thinks it is downloading. Adding seeders and displaying clients joining and leaving but app is dead (but still responding. Process stable). Data does not progress and up's and down's stay blank. I have toggled all services in the prefs and it makes no difference. I have cleaned my install up as well with deleting .plist etc... Thanks.

howdy...

i get the 100% issue, and 0/0 issue, and the red light, which i didn't used to get, but I also get what I can only describe as a "hard drive leak"? not sure how to set up activity monitor or get a log, but will do that if someone lets me know how.

Running Leopard, 9.1.1, 4 gigs of ram in a 2.2 white macbook. hard drive space disappears once utorrent starts up, without any downloads being active, and they should go to an external drive anyway. Onyx 'fixes' the harddrive space issue, but it comes back the minute i start utorrent again.

I 'lost' 37 gigs of space one night, woke up to 0kb available. thought it was internet browsers, but have narrowed it down to utorrent, im pretty sure.

like i said, not sure if it is related, but since i am experiencing the other issues, thought I would post it here.

-admitted newb to any betas, btw...

-edit.. one other thing i just noticed... utorrent is 'rechecking' files.... would that cause it to use local harddrive space for some reason? not sure how it is all linked together... did try deleting the settings, (copied the terminal commands, b/c i don't know anything about that) other than my being an idiot and losing the partially downloaded torrents, it didn't seem to do anything.

-edit. just noticed... no red light, it is still rechecking files, but a new torrent still isn't starting up. no red light, it just says 'connection status unavailable'

now i have no files to upload (what with being stupid when i deleted the settings), and it isn't downloading, so i don't have the 100% issue, but something still isn't right. 1 gig of harddrive space has disappeared so far... and i can still watch the available space tick down.

---edit..

sorry for the muliple edits...

disk space count down has slowed, but is still progress. restarted utorrent after setting up port forwarding, (again) this time, speeds were great, green icon, and tada, 20 seconds into it, 0/0 problem. i think this should be a link to the activity log sample... http://pastebin.com/m77800634

------edit...

apologies again, but now, insanely good transfer rates, green icon, and only 60% cpu. still have a harddrive leak, but no where near as bad. ill search the forum for that problem later... if it reappears, ill repost.

.......... re edit...

probably really bad forum etiquette, but, wth. back to 0/0 but still green. had been running 750/150 green. finished off 3 files, then, with one torrent running, was 150/150 green. nothing changed, but now 0/0 and 70% cpu. i sampled it, http://pastebin.com/m29e001c1 and as i typed this, it just jumped back to 150/150.... any ideas? at all?

Since upgrading to v0.9.1.1 I've been experiencing the 100% CPU bug constantly. Usually once starting uTorrent it'll will run fine for 15-30mins, but checking it after with Activity Monitor shows its then entered the 100% CPU usage state.

Not having experienced this before I've scoured the net for previous versions, found v0.9.0 and found this had the same problem (100% CPU usage)!

Again this morning I managed to find v0.9.0.4 and everthing has been fine since. Currently for the exact same torrent usage (downloading 1, seeding 3) it's using 2-3% CPU! much better!

I never had an older version installed and I see this. 0.9.1.1 was my first install.

This and the "doesn't stop seeding when specified ratio is attained" bug are making me go back to bloated Vuze, which at least doesn't soak my CPU or waste my bandwidth.

ezmac1964: as stated before, the mac troubleshooting guide is here:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=51398

all:

recently updated my two Macbook Pro (2,4 and 2,33GHz, 2 GB RAM each, OSX.5.6) from 0.9.4 to 0.9.1.1, skipping the bug-laden update in between. Oh the fun of Betas, but nevermind. Shortly after updating, like after two days the aforementioned problem occurred to me as after almost a night of seeding, one of the two MBPs, the one with 2,33GHz drove its fans up to 6000 rpm and CPU-usage of one core to 100%, the other being at roughly 10%. Upload dropped to zero and stayed there while the application still showed "green" in the connection departement. After a Command-Q and a restart, the problem kept occurring, from time to time. Like every 5-15 Minutes, the machine hit top-fan rpm, one core was like 100%, from time to time the network prefs in uTorrent went on showing a red light after startup and the "incoming TCP port" field says "0" and "Listening Error" despite having a port forwarded to my router (and double checked). So I fiddled with the uTorrent preferences a bit. After disabling almost any extra features, I came along the DHT Checkbox and disabled that too. After another application-quit-restart, I rebooted the system (for good measure) and since then uTorrent keeps quitting only almost every 2-4 hours, which is not good but acceptable considering a forced application quit every 15 minutes or so with DHT enabled. So it seems that disabling the DHT circumvents part of the problems with the CPU over-usage and you might wanna give it a try if you dont feel like downgrading. Anyhow lets face it: Way to go to 1.0 . And thats exactly why I dont understand you guys saying "We dont support older versions." Like in "What do we care ´bout the crap we coded yesterday?" If one older version works, then why not keeping it (only one version) around like a "stable" or in that case "more stable" release and having a fallback version you can point users to, while the bleeding edge release is for the more adventureous people? I think this would enhance user experience.

EDIT: Yes, I threw out my settings after I upgraded. Also, I read the FAQ and used Search.

Preferences in uTorrent currently are:

General: all unchecked

Downloads: all unchecked

Bandwidth: all unchecked, no limits although I wouldn´t recommend this for most people.

BitTorrent: Disable DHT, Enable Peer Exchange for public Torrents, Connections 512/64,

Encryption Disabled, Queues 128/6

Network: Forwarded a Port, everything else is unchecked.

If someone pastes a link to a previous version here, will it be deleted?

Devs, I am sorry. I read that "we don't support older versions" here.

But the older version is just what all of us needed. It worked. Why the new one doesn't? I don't know, I have my own regressions to handle on my projects, so sorry, I can't help.

I'm still having the 100% CPU bug with 0.9.1.1. 0.9.0.4 seems to not have it, though it has some of those other bugs that have since been fixed.

Is there any word from developers about the status of this bug? Are there any other testing (not quite released) versions which the devs might be willing to share to solicit feedback in getting to the root of this issue? Is there any information I can provide which will aid in this issue being tracked down?

This is on Leopard 10.5.6, latest updates, one of the new unibody MBPs, 2.53 GHz, 4GB RAM (if any of that is relevant).

i am using 9.1.2 (15171) with a macbook pro unibody and I'm seeing the same thing here. rebooting the app resets the cpu usage to < 5%. I only have one torrent downloading at 18kB/s and 6 torrents uploading at 75kB/s. This may be helpful information to a developer. I don't know if that is an appropriate amount of CPU usage for this level of activity.

Archived