uTorrent starting duplicate instance of explorer.exe on Vista 64-bit

dreadlox

Hello!

I run uTorrent 1.8.2 (build 14458) on Vista 64-bit, and when I right-click a torrent and select "Open Containing Folder", a new 32-bit instance of explorer.exe is started...

The containing folder is opened ok, but all sorts of strange things happen after that because TWO explorer.exe:s are running... (all shell-extensions from other apps are not applied on the new explorer, and the sysrtem becomes unstable sometimes)

In Windows Task Manager I can see one "explorer.exe" and one "explorer.exe *32". The last one was started by uTorrent and that's no good :) There must be a better way of opening a folder that to launch explorer.exe

Is there a way to work around it? It's quite annoying... I use "open folder location" all the time, but now since started using Vista 64-bit I found explorer crashing and mis-behavning all the time. And just now I tracked the problem to uTorrent. What "command" are you talking about? The sure must be a way for uTorrent to to this differently. Have never seen any other app doing this...

Ok, thanks for the reply!

Maybe the "correct solution" to this problem would be to also supply a 64-bit version of uTorrent itself :) That would be great!

...I have a strong feeling that people are now finally starting to jump on the 64-bit OS wagon in great numbers. Just during the last 6 months it has happened a lot, and there are a lot more 64-bit users out there as memory demands increase, prices drop and problems are solved... And once you go 64-bit, you'll never look back! :)

So I guess it's just a matter of time before all apps will finally have to make the jump to 64-bit...

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem, and I find it really annoying.

Whenever Explorer.exe *32 is opened in my process list. I can't seem to use my ' button (left from enter). It's not that bad but I can't find the file with any of my virusscanners...

• 3 months later...

I routinely have multiple (i've seen as many as 7) but have never had a problem with it crashing however. I'm running Windows 7 though. I just end all the extra one's every time I see them. (the new ones are generally smaller, around 11-20 MB instead of 60 like the normal one.) The 32 bit part is definitely fixed though, That could be why mine isn't crashing.

Fixing this problem would also get rid of the multiple instances of each folder. Eg if you have your downloads folder open, you go to open containing folder on a torrent in uTorrent it opens a second window rather than just transferring control to the already open one. (theoretically might also deal with that 50+ folder thing for opening location on labels that just got brought up).

Archived