Has anyone ever tried this command?

rider555

1. make sure you disable IPv6 in your network adapter settings; some routers do not work well with it enabled.

2. in a cmd prompt with administrator privileges; type: "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable" without the quotes and hit ENTER and then reboot computer.

I am a bit leery that it might screw something up..so I have yet to try it..

I found it in another forum where someone had posted that they were experiencing slow download speeds with Utorrent.

You should research things deeper before you just follow random advice. ipv6 is not currently widely implemented, disabling it shouldn't hurt anything unless your ISP is way ahead of the game and is using ipv6 extensively internally.

As for disabling autotuning, you can try it. I'm not sure how much it will help. Autotuning is designed for broadband connections. Let me explain. Without autotuning, every 64kb of data you receive, you send an acknowledgement to whoever sent that data. It won't send anymore until it gets that acknowledgement, and if it doesn't get it in a specified amount of time, it sends that same data again. Ideally this means the server doesn't wait for 500MB to download only to find out you never got it and have to send it all again. It also means that every 64kb there's a pause while the two computers confirm they have all the data successfully.

Auto-tuning allows that size to change. It's called the TCP receive window. With auto-tuning, that can be changed to anything that Windows feels is appropriate given the type and amount of traffic. It might shrink that number or it might enlarge that number. In essence, auto-tuning was designed for high-speed, broadband connections where large amount of data can flow.

If your problem is slow speed only in uTorrent, I doubt disabling it will help. It will change the way ALL tcp network traffic works and I would normally only suggest it if you had multiple network problems: slow browsing, frequent time-outs, etc. If you want to try it though, it can always be returned to the original state so it won't cause any permanent damage. It's important to note that it MUST be run from an elevated command prompt though. A normal cmd won't work unless you have UAC disabled.

If it doesn't help (or if it makes things worse), you can restore auto-tuning with:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuningl=normal

Archived