hard disk full?

tummychow

Every single time I run a torrent, no matter what its contents or size, it'll run for a little while and then this happens.

Error: Not enough free space on disk.

I've read the in-help explanation several times: FAT32 volumes cannot handle a write of more than 4GiB at once. Although it's true that the drive I'm writing to is FAT32, it can't be the right explanation because there is no way for any of my torrents to be writing 4GiB, or to be creating such a file, at once. I've turned off preallocation so that can't be it, and none of the torrents I use are even that large in total size.

I'll sidestep. I force start and it'll go for anywhere from five seconds to twenty minutes. Then, wham.

Error: Not enough free space on disk.

I don't understand. Why do I keep getting this error when there's more than enough space for the torrent in question, particularly when uTorrent's help file does not cover the problem?

Did you change your destination disk with torrents downloading? If so the file you are downloading will be saved not only on the new target disk, but the one you had designated before. The same thing happened to me. In my case the file was saved not only on the new target disk I'd designated, but mirrored on the original target as well, which happened to be the computer's internal disk. The problem is that the files that were mirrored on the original target, my internal disk, were saved to an invisible folder called "Volumes," in a folder called "Downloads." Because the folder was invisible it took me a very long time to figure out that the files were still being mirrored on my internal disk. You may have to look at the invisible files on your HD. If you can't do that, go to a place like versiontracker.com and download a free program called "Tinkertool," which allows invisible system files to be made visible. This will allow you to locate mirrored download files and eliminate them, freeing up the space on your HD.

Alright, well I tried the Scandisk, and as usual, it never finishes... it just keeps on restarting over and over and over again. I gave it eight continuous hours and it still hadn't finished. So I think I'll have to reconsider that one.

By status column, I mean in uTorrent. In the actual job list, it gave me Error: Error 1168.

And no, I don't have any other destination disks on this computer... it's really old. So I don't think that's it.

Sorry if I'm confusing people.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though Scandisk failed to finish in safe mode, it still solved the first problem. Thanks!

...I now have a new problem. It may be torrent specific (I know that, if that's the case, I should not discuss the content involved). I get a mixture of Access denied (I'm on an Administrator account if it matters) and The data is invalid. For the second one, I can recheck and everything checks out - all the data I downloaded suddenly 'reappears' when I force a recheck. For the Access denied, I have no idea how I'd get around that, so I just keep on force-starting the torrent and it just keeps on slamming into a brick wall. Any suggestions?

I have a question before I post the information that is indicated in that thread.

My seeding torrents are never affected by this, and I've never gotten it before. Is it entirely impossible that it is torrent specific? What are the mechanics of these errors?

EDIT: Just tried HijackThis, and it failed. I've ran it three times. Every single time, I press system scan and logfile, and it runs quickly until a certain point (the same stuff is in the windows every time). Then it comes to a screeching burning halt. I have to force it to end. Any advice?

Another edit. What are the mechanics of the "ReadFile: somefilename" error that you get in the Logger pane? I think it relates to this issue.

OK, here's the stuff from Process Explorer

Process    PID    CPU    Description    Company Name    Window Title
Idle 0x0 92.61 System Idle Process
EM_EXEC.EXE 0xFFFB8CD9 Logitech Events Handler Application Logitech Inc.
KERNEL32.DLL 0xFFCF0471 Win32 Kernel core component Microsoft Corporation
MSGSRV32.EXE 0xFFFFC409 Windows 32-bit VxD Message Server Microsoft Corporation
SPOOL32.EXE 0xFFFFCC31 Spooler Sub System Process Microsoft Corporation
MPREXE.EXE 0xFFFFB9E1 WIN32 Network Interface Service Process Microsoft Corporation
ASHSERV.EXE 0xFFFEB92D avast! antivirus service ALWIL Software
RPCSS.EXE 0xFFFC360D Distributed COM Services Microsoft Corporation
MSTASK.EXE 0xFFFE6D7D Task Scheduler Engine Microsoft Corporation
RETRORUN.EXE 0xFFFE6C11 Retrospect Dantz Development Corporation
SSDPSRV.EXE 0xFFFE2831 SSDP Service on Windows Millennium Microsoft Corporation
mmtask.tsk 0xFFFDC97D Multimedia background task support module Microsoft Corporation
EXPLORER.EXE 0xFFFDBB19 0.19 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation Exploring - Stephen
SYSTRAY.EXE 0xFFFCE8B5 System Tray Applet Microsoft Corporation
WMIEXE.EXE 0xFFFAFC11 WMI service exe housing Microsoft Corporation
TASKMON.EXE 0xFFFCDEB1 Task Monitor Microsoft Corporation
DSLAUNCH.EXE 0xFFFCC731 YAMAHA DS-XG Launcher YAMAHA Corporation
ERASER.EXE 0xFFFBF875 Eraser. Heidi Computers Ltd
PSTORES.EXE 0xFFFB799D Protected storage server Microsoft Corporation
LOADQM.EXE 0xFFFB7595 Microsoft QMgr Microsoft Corporation
STIMON.EXE 0xFFFB5F51 Still Image Devices Monitor Microsoft Corporation
IG2507MON.EXE 0xFFFB262D PL2507 Safely Remove Hardware Prolific Technology Inc.
ASHWEBSV.EXE 0xFFFB13BD avast! Web Scanner ALWIL Software
ASHMAISV.EXE 0xFFFB0F41 avast! e-Mail Scanner Service ALWIL Software
MSBNTRAY.EXE 0xFFFA06FD Microsoft Broadband Networking Tray Application Microsoft Corporation
IPHLPSVR.EXE 0xFFF6F999 Microsoft Broadband Networking IPHlpAPI Server Application Microsoft Corporation
UTORRENT.EXE 0xFFF8EBD5 0.49 µTorrent BitTorrent, Inc.
IEXPLORE.EXE 0xFFF73819 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation IF YOU HAVE SPEED ISSUES READ HERE FIRST - Forums - µTorrent - The Lightweight and Efficient Bi - IE
PROCESS EXPLORER.EXE 0xFFF6578D 6.71 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals Process Explorer - Sysinternals: www.sysinternals.com

"What are the mechanics of the "ReadFile: somefilename" error that you get in the Logger pane? I think it relates to this issue."

I've never heard/seen of that error...but it sounds related to hard drive problems.

Those same problems are also likely to be causing HijackThis! to fail on running.

I didn't see anything in your limited HijackThis log you posted that is likely to be a problem.

Archived